Sporting Signs Academy Product Kayden Pierre
Sporting Kansas City announced today that the club has signed 18-year-old outside back Kayden Pierre as a Homegrown Player.
Pierre has signed a four-year MLS contract through 2024 with an option for 2025, becoming the 18th Homegrown Player to emerge from the Sporting Kansas City Academy. With the acquisition of Pierre, Sporting leads Major League Soccer with 12 academy products on its current roster.
Born and raised in Rochester Hills, Michigan, Pierre joined the Sporting KC Academy in 2018 from Vardar SC in his native state. He went on to represent Sporting at the U-15, U-17 and U-19 levels, making upwards of 60 academy appearances and guiding the U-17s to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy Playoffs in 2019. While in Kansas City, Pierre has lived with a host family through a program currently supported by the Audi Goals Drive Progress initiative.
Capable of playing as a left back and a right back, Pierre gained his first professional experience last fall when he signed an amateur academy contract for Sporting Kansas City II. He started two of three USL Championship appearances under head coach Paulo Nagamura, including a 90-minute outing in a dramatic 2-1 road victory over Indy Eleven on Sept. 30. In 205 minutes of USL Championship action last year, Pierre recorded four interceptions and 10 clearances while winning 77% of his duels and completing 89% of his passes, including three chances created.
Pierre enjoyed a strong 2021 preseason campaign with the Sporting KC first team this spring in Arizona, featuring in all four friendly matches and logging 176 minutes as an outside back. He most recently started for Sporting Kansas City II in their 2021 season opener on Saturday, playing the full 90 minutes at right back in a 2-0 loss to FC Tulsa.
On the international stage, Pierre has competed for the United States U-14 and U-16 national teams over the last five years. He participated in multiple U-14 training camps from 2016-2017 before jumping to the U-16s for training camps from 2018-2019.
Pierre joins Grayson Barber, Gianluca Busio, Ozzie Cisneros, Cam Duke, Tyler Freeman, Wilson Harris, Felipe Hernandez, Jaylin Lindsey, Kaveh Rad, Daniel Salloi and Brooks Thompson as academy products on Sporting's roster. For a full list of Sporting's 2021 roster moves, visit SportingKC.com/tracker.
Transaction: Sporting Kansas City (MLS) signs defender Kayden Pierre as a Homegrown Player.
Born: 2/16/2003 (18 years old)
Weight: 140 lbs.
Hometown: Rochester Hills, Michigan
Birthplace: Rochester Hills, Michigan
Sporting KC Homegrown Players from SKC Academy
(Age upon signing in parenthesis)
2010 - Goalkeeper Jon Kempin (17)
2011 - Defender Kevin Ellis (19)
2013 - Defender Erik Palmer-Brown (16)
2016 - Forward Daniel Salloi (19) *
2017 - Midfielder Gianluca Busio (15) *
2017 - Defender Jaylin Lindsey (17) *
2018 - Defender Matt Lewis (21)
2018 - Forward Zach Wright (22)
2018 - Midfielder Wan Kuzain Wan Kamal (19)
2018 - Forward Tyler Freeman (15) *
2019 - Midfielder Cam Duke (18) *
2019 - Midfielder Felipe Hernandez (21) *
2020 - Forward Wilson Harris (20) *
2021 - Midfielder Grayson Barber (20) *
2021 - Forward Ozzie Cisneros (16) *
2021 - Goalkeeper Brooks Thompson (18) *
2021 - Defender Kaveh Rad (19) *
2021 - Defender Kayden Pierre (18) *
* Denotes player on current team
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 4, 2021
- Atlanta United Draw Philadelphia Union in Leg Two of SCCL Quarterfinal - Atlanta United FC
- With draw, Union advance to the semifinal of CCL - Philadelphia Union
- LAFC, L.A. County Department of Public Health and USC Pharmacy Host Community COVID-19 Vaccine Drive at Banc of California Stadium May 7-8 - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: May 4, 2021 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Breaking Lines: Stout Defense Earns Clean Sheet - Inter Miami CF
- Sporting Signs Academy Product Kayden Pierre - Sporting Kansas City
- Youth Update: Rapids Academy Finds Early Success, USL Championship Kicks off 2021 Campaign - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville SC Remains Undefeated in the 2021 MLS Season - Nashville SC
- Up Next: Back Home against Atlanta - Inter Miami CF
- LAFC Announces New Partnership with Calljacob.Com and the Law Offices of Jacob Emrani - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Announce Date Change for Road Match vs. Seattle Sounders FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Announces Date Changes to Two Upcoming Home Matches - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sporting's July 17 Home Match Moved to June 12 - Sporting Kansas City
- Austin FC Announces Two 2021 Major League Soccer Schedule Updates - Austin FC
- FC Dallas to Increase Fan Capacity at Toyota Stadium Beginning June 19, 2021 - FC Dallas
- The Pitch: Huge MLS TV Weekend Stacks Rivalries in Primetime - MLS
- Become an Inaugural Season Ticket Member at Bank of America Stadium this Weekend - Charlotte FC
- Charlotte FC to Host Exclusive MLS Watch Party for Season Ticket Members - Charlotte FC
- Orlando City SC Forward Pato Undergoes Successful Knee Procedure - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.