Sporting KC to Host Blood Drive on Friday
Sporting Kansas City will host a blood drive with the Community Blood Center (CBC) from 12-6 p.m. this Friday at Children's Mercy Park.
Community members can make an appointment for the blood drive online in advance and all registered donors will receive a free "I Bleed Sporting Blue" t-shirt as well as a free ticket to Sporting Kansas City II's home playoff match at 7 p.m. on Friday night at Rock Chalk Park in Lawrence, Kansas.
Sporting Kansas City and the Community Blood Center are longtime partners who have teamed up to host blood drives together for more than a decade dating back to 1998.
It only takes one hour to donate and a single donation can save multiple lives. Roughly one in seven hospital admissions require a blood transfusion. Those in need include: cancer patients, accident, burn, or trauma victims, newborn babies and their mothers, transplant recipients, surgery patients, chronically transfused patients suffering from sickle cell disease or thalassemia, and many more.
CBC has announced a blood emergency following a summer of low donor turnout. Contributing to the shortage are the recent Labor Day holiday, back-to-school activities and a prolonged 50% decrease in youth and first-time donors.
The region's blood supply is well below the optimal 5-7 days and while all blood types are needed, types O+, O-, B-, and platelets are critically low. Blood donors can give every 56 days, and platelet donors can give twice per month. To view current eligibility guidelines, visit savealifenow.org or call 800.688.0900.
WHEN: Friday, Sept. 29th from 12-6 p.m.
WHERE: Budweiser Brew House at Children's Mercy Park (One Sporting Way, Kansas City, KS)
WHO: Blood donors, volunteers and Community Blood Center representatives
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 26, 2023
- Nashville SC Announces Winners for 2023 Club Awards - Nashville SC
- THREE POINTS: Houston Dynamo FC Reach First Final Under Ted Segal, Pat Onstad and Ben Olsen - Houston Dynamo FC
- Rapids Welcome Vancouver Whitecaps for Rescheduled Western Conference Matchup - Colorado Rapids
- LA Galaxy Announce Hispanic Heritage Night Details for Home Match against Portland Timbers on Saturday, September 30 - LA Galaxy
- MLS NEXT Pro Announce Round One Playoff Matches - Philadelphia Union
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Sounders FC Unveils Brand Evolution, Officially Releasing Updated Crest, Colors and Associated Marks Ahead of Club's 50th Anniversary in 2024 - Seattle Sounders FC
- The Pitch - Matchday 35: Top Things to Watch in MLS this Week - MLS
- Inter Miami CF and Houston Dynamo FC to Face off in U.S. Open Cup Final this Wednesday - Inter Miami CF
- New York City Football Club's Final Match of 2023 Regular Season Moved to Citi Field - New York City FC
- Sporting KC to Host Blood Drive on Friday - Sporting Kansas City
- Pat Noonan Highlights Communication as a Key Factor to Building, Maintaining Trust with Players - FC Cincinnati
- LAFC and Tigres UANL to Headline 2023 Campeones Cup on Wednesday, September 27 at BMO Stadium - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.