SPHL Summer Meetings Conclude
Representatives from all seven teams met in Biloxi, MS for the annual summer league meeting. Southern Professional Hockey League Commissioner, Jim Combs has announced 3 additional teams to their line-up for the 2009-2010 season. Pensacola, Lafayette and Biloxi will be joining veteran teams Columbus, Huntsville, Fayetteville and Knoxville to begin regular season in late October, 2009. Representatives from Twin City were also present to request a one year suspension and give an encouraging update on their current search for a new location.
Newly appointed Chairman of the Board, Mike Murray responds to this year's meeting with enthusiasm for the future of the league.
"With the addition of the likes of Tim Kerr, Brent Sepergia, Steffon Walby and Todd Gordon, I see our league developing into a much higher standard of play. All teams coming from last year will need to work harder and play stronger to compete with these seasoned veterans."
Newly appointed Vice Chairman, Tim Kerr also leaves the meeting encouraged about his future in the SPHL.
"The SPHL has a proven record for success within their markets. I'm looking forward to developing a new team and our fans obviously approve by already getting us half way to our goal of selling over 600 season tickets to date."
Commissioner Jim Combs says, "The SPHL is a good mix in location, hockey experience and professionalism. The SPHL is a strong, viable league within the Southeast and opens the door for the opportunity for others within our footprint to consider."
In addition to regular business discussions, the following items were also voted on and approved.
- The regular season schedule will stay at 56 games and will be released after July 20th.
- The Playoff schedule will consist of 6 teams making it to the post-season. A playoff schedule will be decided during the winter meetings.
- The league will continue testing four-official systems throughout the year and into the playoffs.
- The formation of a "Competition Committee" to routinely discuss rules of play throughout the year.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from June 17, 2009
- Coast Hockey Announces New Team Name - Mississippi Surge
- SPHL Summer Meetings Conclude - Columbus Cottonmouths
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.