Spartans QB Hatcher blessed with seasoned receivers
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - The most a rookie quarterback can ask for is veterans receivers. Augusta's Brandon Hatcher didn't hesitate to give credit to Anthony Young and Marvin Stone following the Spartans' 49-47 victory over the Daytona Beach Thunder Sunday.
"My receivers helped me out so much,'' said Hatcher, who finished with 243 yards and five touchdowns. "It's a great feeling to know there's that experience out there."
Hatcher, who spent two years at Hawaii, went through the usual rookie initiation - smaller field, faster play, but settled down when he led the Spartans to a scoring drive on their first possession.
"That definitely helped my confidence," Hatcher said. NOTES: Augusta was awarded 218 "style points" by a committee of fans and media ... Daytona Beach garnered 100 ... Young was named offensive MVP, DB Kijana Thomas defensive MVP and Voncelles Allen the line MVP.
• Discuss this story on the World Indoor Football League 2 message board...
World Indoor Football League 2 Stories from February 12, 2007
- Arrival of linemen beefs up camp, Pollock shines at receiver - Columbus Lions
- Another close one, Thunder falls by two to Spartans in opener - Daytona Beach Thunder
- Career day for Broadhurst - Daytona Beach Thunder
- Spartans QB Hatcher blessed with seasoned receivers - Augusta Colts
- Block that kick, Spartans do and win season opener, 49-47 - Augusta Colts
- WIFL opener in the books - WIFL 2
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.