Sounds Drop Homestand Opener to Storm Chasers, 10-7
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Omaha catcher Brett Hayes belted a pair of home runs to lead the visiting Storm Chasers to a 10-7 victory over the Nashville Sounds on Monday evening at Greer Stadium in the opener of a four-game series.
Hayes' outburst marked his third two-homer game against the Sounds this season. The backstop has hit all six of his homers versus Nashville, batting .500 (11-for-22) against them on the year.
Nashville (21-41) out-hit Omaha, 11-8, on the night, but Sounds pitchers issued nine walks in the contest.
The Sounds grabbed a 3-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning against rehabbing Omaha starter Danny Duffy, who made his first Triple-A appearance during his return from Tommy John surgery.
Hainley Statia led off with a single and Khris Davis drew a one-out walk before both Statia scored on a Hunter Morris RBI double to right that gave Nashville a 1-0 advantage. Josh Prince followed with a two-run single to center that made it a 3-0 contest.
Omaha cut the lead to 3-2 in the second with a pair of home runs off Sounds starter R.J. Seidel. Anthony Seratelli led off with a towering drive to right that landed on Chestnut Street for his sixth big fly of the year. Later in the frame, Hayes drilled a two-out solo homer to left.
The offenses took over in the third as both teams batted around in the frame to account for 10 runs with neither starting pitcher surviving the inning.
The Storm Chasers jumped in front by an 8-3 margin with a six-spot against Seidel, sending 11 batters to the plate.
Jarrod Dyson (3-for-3) led off with a double to right, advanced to third on a wild pitch, and scored the tying run on a throwing error by catcher Anderson De La Rosa. Christian Colon and Johnny Giovatella drew back-to-back walks from Seidel then executed a double steal to put a pair of runners into scoring position for Xavier Nady, who delivered a go-ahead RBI single to center. Max Ramirez pushed the visitors' lead to two with a sacrifice fly before Hayes connected for his second homer of the night, a three-run shot to left-center.
Seidel (1-3) was tagged with the loss after surrendering eight runs on six hits over his 2 2/3 innings. He had allowed only 11 total runs in his first six Triple-A outings.
Nashville pulled back within a run at 8-7 with four scores against Duffy in the home half of the third as the offensive show continued. A Prince RBI double, run-scoring singles from Sean Halton and De La Rosa, and an Ozzie Chavez RBI groundout accounted for the runs as the Sounds batted around in the frame.
Omaha extended its lead to 10-7 in the sixth when Nady drew a bases-loaded walk from Dillard and Ramirez lifted his second sac fly of the night later in the frame.
The Sounds had a chance to cut into the lead in the bottom of the frame, loading the bases with one out, but Prince lined into an inning-ending double play.
Donnie Joseph (2-3) picked up the win by hurling 2 2/3 innings of hitless relief for the Storm Chasers.
The teams continue the series with another 7:05 p.m. meeting on Tuesday night. It will be a pair of hard-throwing right-handers matched up on the hill as Johnny Hellweg (5-4, 3.25) will start for the Sounds to oppose Omaha's Yordano Ventura (0-0, 1.80).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 10, 2013
- RedHawks Fall to Iowa, 7-6, Monday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Hayes Hammers Nashville Pitching Again in Chasers Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Memphis Opens Series with 5-4 Loss to New Orleans - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Drop Homestand Opener to Storm Chasers, 10-7 - Nashville Sounds
- Kouzmanoff, Zephyrs Top Memphis 5-4 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Express Roll over Isotopes - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Feierabend Pitches Express Past Isotopes - Round Rock Express
- Zephyrs Win 7-2 over Redbirds in Rain-Suspended Contest - Memphis Redbirds
- Dodgers Recall SS Justin Sellers From Albuquerque - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Grizzlies' 8-Game Homestand Starts Tonight WIth Monday Madness - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Preview Homestand - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Storm Chasers June 10th Game Notes - Omaha Storm Chasers
- The Express Returns to Dell Diamond Tonight - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks vs. Cubs - Game Notes - June 10, 2013 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Grizzlies' Manager's Luncheon is Sold Out - Fresno Grizzlies
- Montz Named Player of the Week - Sacramento River Cats
- Montz and Torres Tabbed as PCL Player and Pitcher of the Week - PCL
- Express Hosts Isotopes In Four-Game Homestand - Round Rock Express
- Forsythe Power Padres over Sacramento - Tucson Padres
- River Cats Bested by T-Pads, 4-2 - Sacramento River Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: New Orleans Baby Cakes (7-11) at Nashville Sounds (9-9)
- Sounds Edge Storm Chasers 4-3 to Salvage Series Finale
- Sounds to Introduce Honorary Players from Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt on Wednesday
- Sounds Begin Homestand Wednesday
- Storm Chasers Defeat Sounds 4-1, Clinch Series