Snap Shots: Luis Felipe
Republic FC's roster added an experienced and physical midfielder last week when Luis Felipe signed with Sacramento.
After spending three seasons in Major League Soccer with the San Jose Earthquakes and a few campaigns in the USL Championship with Reno 1868 FC, the midfielder is entering the prime of his career as he links up with Mark Briggs' men for the upcoming 2021 season.
But before Felipe dons the Old Glory Red kit for the very first time, it's time to catch a few glimpses of SRFC's newest member set to patrol and protect the central part of the pitch.
No loose ball is safe when Luis Felipe is on the field. The fearless midfielder is anything but afraid to fight for a 50/50 ball and spring an offensive attack. Felipe is the quintessential defensive midfielder who has no issues putting his body on the line for the greater good of the squad.
Luis Felipe has a tireless motor on both ends of the pitch and when the midfielder has the ball at his feet, he's not looking to give it away so easily. Felipe has fantastic field awareness and makes smart decisions with his passing - as he demonstrated with Reno 1868 FC with over an 85% successful passing completion percentage in 2018 and just under 85% the season before.
Just because Luis Felipe often times plays in a more defensive midfield role, that doesn't mean SRFC's newest signing can't strike a sizzling shot. In his two USL Championship seasons with Reno 1868 FC, Felipe has found the back of the net six times from 13 shots on target. In 2017, he took 21 total shots and scored five times - an average of one goal roughly every four shots.
Tremendous Team Player
Felipe might add some serious bite to Sacramento's midfield, but he's also bringing with him an infectious smile and work ethic. The New York-native might not find his name on the score sheet following each match, but it's his gritty work between the boxes that earns Felipe the respect of his peers - both opponents and teammates included.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from February 8, 2021
- Alan McCann and Alex Schultz Named to Switchbacks FC Technical Staff - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- New Mexico United Signs Goalscoring Jamaican International Brian Brown - New Mexico United
- Insiders Look into the 2021 Boys in Old Glory Red: Goalkeepers - Sacramento Republic FC
- Snap Shots: Luis Felipe - Sacramento Republic FC
- Roots Sign German Born USL Veteran Wal Fall - Oakland Roots
- El Paso Locomotive Youth Soccer Club Announces Coaching Staff for USL Academy League Team - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Lynn Family Stadium Nominated for Stadium of the Year - Louisville City FC
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.