Slammers Win in Walk-Off Thriller, 5-4
JOLIET, IL - On the shoulders of slugger Harrison Bragg, the Slammers outlasted the Thunderbolts in extra innings on Saturday night.
Dash Winningham kicked off the scoring for the Slammers after a scoreless top half of the 1st with a deep homerun to right field, also driving in London Lindley from third. Bragg then reached on a single, but the Slammers failed to move him from there, ending the inning with a 2-0 lead.
The Thunderbolts responded in the 3rd, adding two runs on a triple to right-center from Brynn Martinez. Martinez then scored on a wild pitch from Daren Osby. A double-play ball to second ended the inning, with the Thunderbolts taking the lead, 3-2.
Lindley found his way across home plate again in the bottom of the 5th. After advancing to second on a stolen base, he was able to score on a wild throw from catcher Brett Coffel. That was the only score of the inning, bringing the game to 3 all.
The Thunderbolts broke the tie in the top of the 6th. After putting runners at the corners with one out, Coffel drove in Shane Carrier from third on a sacrifice fly. The Slammers put runners at the corners in their half as well, but were unable to score, ending the inning with the Thunderbolts holding a 4-3 lead.
The Slammers tied the game in the 8th after Bragg doubled to left, eventually reaching home on a wild pitch from reliever Blake Hickman. A ground out on the next pitch ended the inning 4-4.
Relieving Isaac Sanchez, Ryan Koziol sat down the Thunderbolts in order to start the 9th. The Slammers were unable to score in their half however, sending the game into extra innings.
Neither side would score in the 10th, but the Slammers broke through in the bottom of the 11th. With Bragg starting the inning on second, Peyton Isaacson drove him in on a walk-off RBI single to right field.
Tonight's Merchants and Manufacturers Bank Player of the Game is Harrison Bragg (4-5, 2 R and 2 2B).
The Slammers and the Thunderbolts lock horns once again tomorrow, July 7th, in the final match-up of this three game series.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from July 6, 2019
- Crushers Shutout Florence to Win Series - Lake Erie Crushers
- Grizzlies Rout Miners for Third Straight Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Washington Wins Middle Game, Langbehn Moves up on Managerial Wins List - Washington Wild Things
- Miners Drop Second Straight to Gateway - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Hold on for Win over Otters - River City Rascals
- Slammers Win in Walk-Off Thriller, 5-4 - Joliet Slammers
- Joliet Knocks out ThunderBolts in 11th Inning - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Five-Run Second Costs Boomers - Schaumburg Boomers
- Freedom Blanked by Crushers - Florence Freedom
- Rodriguez Bound for the Reds - Schaumburg Boomers
- Crushers Offense Comes up Clutch Twice - Lake Erie Crushers
- Otters Fend off Rascals with 8-6 Win - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.