Skyhawks fall in series opener, 6-4
AUGUSTA, N.J. - The Sussex Skyhawks fell behind in the first inning and were unable to battle back as they lost 6-4 to the visiting Les Capitales de Quebec Monday night at Skylands Park.
Les Capitales scored two in the first on base hits by Pat Scalabrini and Alex Nunez and added one in the fifth against Skyhawks starter Tim Stringer, who earned the loss. In the bottom of the sixth, Les Capitales picked up two more runs off Skyhawks reliever Alex Smith.
The Skyhawks picked up a run in the bottom of the fifth when Jorge Moreno hit a sacrifice fly to left scoring John Urick. In the seventh, Maikel Jova singled in two runs and a third scored on a throwing error making the score 5-4.
Michel Simard pitched five innings for Les Capitales giving up only one earned run to pick up his eighth win of the season. Derek McDaid pitched a scoreless ninth to earn his fifth save of the year.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian American League message board...
Canadian American League Stories from August 31, 2009
- Can-Am League Recap - Can-Am
- Rox hit 50-win mark for third season in franchise history - Brockton Rox
- Skyhawks fall in series opener, 6-4 - Sussex Skyhawks
- LaForest, Long Tabbed Players of the Week - Can-Am
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.