Sky Sox Sweep Salt Lake with Win
SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH-The Colorado Springs Sky Sox used a familiar formula of early offense and shutdown pitching to pull off a 4-2 victory over the Salt Lake Bees, earning a sweep of the four-game series in front of 4,053 at Smith's Ballpark Sunday afternoon.
Taylor Jungmann (8-1, 2.98) earned his eighth Triple-A win of 2017 by allowing one earned run on seven scattered hits in six innings for his fifth quality start since his promotion from Double-A Biloxi ahead of his May 27 appearance in Nashville. Tyler Webb, Jeanmar Gomez and Rob Scahill (6, 1.23) combined to allow one earned run in three innings of work. Overall, the bullpen gave up just four runs in 15 1/3 relief innings over the four-game series in the Beehive State.
Jungmann and Salt Lake LHP Andrew Heaney engaged in a scoreless pitching duel for the first three innings, but the Sky Sox (68-43) broke the deadlock with two runs in the fourth inning to jump out to a 2-0 lead. Brett Phillips led off the inning with a towering triple to centerfield and then quickly came home one batter later on a line-drive two-run home run from Ivan De Jesus. Long ball No. 7 for the veteran infielder came on a 3-2 offering from Heaney and was the second round-tripper for De Jesus in as many games.
Phillips led off the sixth inning with a double for his second extra-base hit of the day and, after Nate Orf reached on a two-out fielding error, the Sox made Salt Lake (58-56) pay with two runs to extend the lead to 4-0. Rene Garcia lined a single to left-center field for his first hit of the day to score Phillips and Yadiel Rivera followed suit with a RBI single of his own to left field to plate Orf.
On the heels of a four-game winning streak, the Sky Sox return to Security Service Field for an eight-game homestand against the Round Rock Express and New Orleans Baby Cakes. RHP Michael Blazek (2-3, 3.34) faces Express RHP James Dykstra (1-6, 7.79) at 6:40 p.m. MT during another Community Ticket Night, presented by ARC Thrift Stores.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 7, 2017
- Aces Fall Short in 5-4 Rainout Loss - Reno Aces
- Sounds Clinch Series with Rain-Shortened Win - Nashville Sounds
- Flaherty Phenomenal in Memphis Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Sky Sox Sweep Salt Lake with Win - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Iowa Seizes Series from Fresno - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Sounds at Reno - Nashville Sounds
- Tacoma defeats Memphis - Tacoma Rainiers
- Ventura Leads Sox to Series Win - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Springs Sky Sox Stories
- Dodgers Force Sky Sox to Monday Division Decision
- Sky Sox Saturday Night Games Postponed Due to Heavy Rain
- Sky Sox One Win Shy of Clinching American North Division
- Sky Sox Final Regular Season Homestand Begins Tomorrow
- Sky Sox Catcher Christian Bethancourt Named to All-PCL Team