Iowa Seizes Series from Fresno
DES MOINES, IA - The Iowa Cubs (53-58) defeated the Fresno Grizzlies (66-48) 5-4, Sunday at Principal Park. With the win, the I-Cubs have won their first home series since before the All-Star break.
Iowa starter Eddie Butler (2-0) fell two outs shy of qualifying for the win, going 4.1 innings. He gave up three runs, two earned, on seven hits while walking one and striking out seven on 90 pitches (55 strikes). It was Butler's shortest outing with the I-Cubs this season.
There were several lead changes in the game. Iowa was up 2-0 after the second inning before Fresno tied it in the fourth, then took a 3-2 lead in the top of the fifth. The I-Cubs scored three runs in the bottom of the fifth on a bases-clearing double off the bat of Taylor Davis to retake a 5-3 lead. The Grizzlies added a run in the eighth, but couldn't close the gap.
David Garner got the win in his Iowa debut, pitching 1.1 scoreless innings out of the bullpen, walking two and striking out two. Dillon Maples recorded the final out of the game, earning his third save with Iowa.
Davis led the Iowa offense with a 2-for-5 game and three RBI. Elliot Soto reached base in all four plate appearances, going 3-for-3 with one walk, as Mark Zagunis boosted the effort with four walks in the game.
Iowa and Sacramento kick off a four-game series tomorrow at 7:08 p.m. on UnityPoint Kids Night. Kids 13 and under receive free
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 7, 2017
- Aces Fall Short in 5-4 Rainout Loss - Reno Aces
- Sounds Clinch Series with Rain-Shortened Win - Nashville Sounds
- Flaherty Phenomenal in Memphis Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Sky Sox Sweep Salt Lake with Win - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Iowa Seizes Series from Fresno - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Sounds at Reno - Nashville Sounds
- Tacoma defeats Memphis - Tacoma Rainiers
- Ventura Leads Sox to Series Win - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.