Sixth Inning Propels Blue Crabs to Victory
Lancaster, PA - Fresh off a walk-off win and a day off, Southern Maryland's bats came to Lancaster revamped. A dominant five runs in the sixth inning sealed the deal for Southern Maryland as they took down the Barnstormers by a score of 11-6.
The scoring began early for the Blue Crabs. Kent Blackstone led things off and as per usual his plate vision was outstanding. The speedy Blackstone drew a walk off of the 'Stormers' starter, Kyle Davies (4-9), and stole second one batter later. Next came Joe Benson, and he laced a ground ball up the middle to score Blackstone, putting the good guys ahead 1-0 early.
The Lancaster bats sizzled in the second and third innings, as they plated a pair in each frame headlined by a two-run shot from Destin Hood.
The Blue Crabs battled back and displayed some offensive prowess of their own in the fourth and fifth innings. Cory Vaughn drove in Benson on a double to extend Vaughn's streak of games in which he has either reached base or driven in a run to 43 straight. After tacking on one more in the fourth, Southern Maryland put up a three spot in the fifth inning, giving the Blue Crabs a healthy 6-4 lead through five innings of action.
The Blue Crabs, however, wouldn't stop there. If innings four and five were offensive prowess, inning six was pure dominance. The Blue Crabs plated five runs in the top of the sixth. It began with a Josh McAdams two-run home run, his second bomb in his last three games. Joe Benson continued an incredible display with a bases clearing double, giving him four RBI on the day.
The scoring would subside following an offensive outburst in the sixth, as James Dykstra (W,4-1) stunned the 'Stormers bats in a brilliant relief appearance. The stellar outing by the squad handed Southern Maryland an 11-6 victory.
The Blue Crabs will return home on Friday August 2nd for the series opener of a three game set with the Somerset Patriots, and a 6:35 p.m first pitch.
Catch all Blue Crabs home games on the Blue Crabs Broadcast Network, live streamed on YouTube (@SOMDBlueCrabs) Facebook (@SOMDBlueCrabs) and Twitter (@BlueCrabs).
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from July 26, 2019
- Middle Inning Surge Ends Lancaster Win Streak - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Sixth Inning Propels Blue Crabs to Victory - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Teasley Perfect for Patriots, But Ducks Win in Extras - Somerset Patriots
- Former Skeeters IF Ryan Court Promoted to Majors with Seattle Mariners - Sugar Land Skeeters
- InflataFest Bounces into PeoplesBank Park - York Revolution
- Kansas City Royals Purchase Contract of RHP Joe Lienhard - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Tyler Ladendorf Heads to Rays Organization - High Point Rockers
- Somerset Patriots RHP Jonathan Cheshire's Contract Purchased by Minnesota Twins - Somerset Patriots
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Southern Maryland Blue Crabs Stories
- Blue Crabs Announce Halloween Event with Trick or Treating, Pumpkin Painting, Disney's Coco
- Blue Crabs to Host Youth Fall League
- Blue Crabs Announce Disney's Moana as Family Movie Night on September 25th
- Blue Crabs Cancel Daryl Thompson Invitational Youth Baseball Tournament
- Blue Crabs Announce More Community Summer Showcase Events