Sioux City Loses Hard-Fought Battle to Team USA
SIOUX CITY, IA - The Musketeers were back in action to kick-off a three-game weekend starting against the U-17s from the NTDP on Friday night. The Musketeers fought back a few times in this one but could not scrape out the win in the end, losing by a final score of 4-3.
Team USA would go up early in this one with Danny Weight finding the back of the net just 1:33 into the 1st period. Jacob Truscott added a powerplay goal at the 9:13 mark to give Team USA a 2-0 advantage. Sioux City was held scoreless sending them to the locker room with a 2-0 deficit.
It would take over half of the 2nd period, but Sioux City would finally break through. Aaron Grounds jumped out of the penalty box and immediately received an excellent pass from Parker Ford that sent Grounds in all alone on Noah Grannan. Grounds picked his corner and fired it past Grannan to get Sioux City back within one. Team USA would respond three minutes later on a goal by Brock Faber to regain their two-goal advantage.
It didn't take long for Sioux City to get back within one. Bobby Brink found the back of the net just over a minute later to cut the USA lead to 3-2.
It looked like the Musketeers would get an excellent opportunity to tie the game just over 5 minutes into the period when they were given a chance on the powerplay. Despite the man advantage Team USA would pick off a pass, and Thomas Bordeleau scored on the ensuing breakaway to give Team USA a 4-2 lead. Sioux City would again climb back within one just 1:20 later when Matt Miller fired an excellent top-shelf shot past Grannan to make it 4-3.
Unfortunately, the Musketeers would be unable to find the equalizer, final score 4-3.
Grannan made 21 saves for the U-17s while Bren Kraws stopped 18 shots for Sioux City.
The Musketeers will be right back in action tomorrow night against the Team USA. Puck drop set for 7:05 pm.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from March 1, 2019
- Stampede Roll over Tri-City for 9th Straight Home Win - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Hawks Blunt Fargo's Force - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Storm Drop Road Game to Stampede 4-1 - Tri-City Storm
- Sioux City Loses Hard-Fought Battle to Team USA - Sioux City Musketeers
- Stars Fight Down to the Wire, Fall Just Short in Omaha - Lincoln Stars
- Gaber's Three Point Night Leads Dubuque over Chicago, 5-3, in First Meeting of the Season - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Central Illinois Rallies to Defeat Cedar Rapids, 3 to 2 - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Dubuque Erases Two-Goal Deficit in 5-3 Win over Chicago - Chicago Steel
- Saints Begin Winning Edge Promotion with American Trust - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Preview - Stars at Lancers - Lincoln Stars
- Weekend Primer: Saints Square off with Steel for First Meeting this Season - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Gameday Preview: Storm Seek to Clinch Playoff Spot Tonight in Sioux Falls - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sioux City Musketeers Stories
- Seven Sioux City Musketeers Players on NHL Central Scouting November Watch List
- Musketeers Finish 1-1 against Youngstown Phantoms
- Musketeers Make Team Changes
- Musketeers Finish 1-1 against Green Bay Gamblers on the Road
- Musketeers Finish 1-1 against Lincoln Homestand