Sioux City Ends Fall Classic with Loss
Cranberry Township, Pennsylvania - The Sioux City Musketeers fell to the Chicago Steel 7-4 on Friday afternoon as they dropped both contests in the 2022 USHL Fall Classic.
Both teams lit the lamp consistently in the first period. The Steel raced out to a 2-0 lead with goals scored 31 seconds apart from each other from Jack Harvey and Nicholas Moldenhauer.
Sioux City responded with a pair of goals from Max Strand and Kaden Shahan within one minute and 53 seconds of each other to quickly knot the game up 2-2.
The Steel however again turned to their quick strike offense with two goals 37 seconds apart. Jack Harvey netted his second of the game and Michael Emerson gave them a 4-2 lead at the 17:55 mark of the first.
Chicago out shot Sioux City 10 to 8 in the first period. But the Musketeers controlled the puck for much of the rest of the game, outshooting Chicago from that point on 38 to 9 and 46 to 19 through the total game.
The two teams traded goals in the second period. Shahan scored his second of the contest and his third of the Fall Classic, giving him an early lead in the Sioux City locker room with three goals through two games.
Moldenhauer netted a power play goal, his second of the tilt, to give Chicago a 5-3 lead after two periods.
In the third, the Steel gained a three goal cushion from Thor Byfuglien to go ahead 6-3. The Musketeers responded with an impressive goal from Ben Poitras, his first of the season to pull back to within two but Chicago finished it off with an empty net tally from Mick Thompson to give the game its final score, 7-4.
Axel Mangbo (0-2) took the loss and stopped 12/18 shots. Jack Stark (1-0) picked up the win in his first start of the season allowing only four goals on 46 shots.
The Musketeers will not hit the ice again until they face the Des Moines Buccaneers on October 8th for the 2022 home opener and banner night at the Tyson Events Center. Puck drop is scheduled for 6:05 pm.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from September 23, 2022
- Force Finish Off Fall Classic Strong - Fargo Force
- Madison Falls to Fargo 8-1 - Madison Capitols
- Sioux City Ends Fall Classic with Loss - Sioux City Musketeers
- Steel Offense Rolls in 7-4 Win over Sioux City - Chicago Steel
- Lumberjacks Fall to Tri-City 6-4 in Penalty-Filled Contest - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Whitehead's Shutout Buoys Stars to Win - Lincoln Stars
- Capitols Fall in Season Opener 4-1 - Madison Capitols
- Now Seating: Kingpin Social at the Rink - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Storm Set to Face Lumberjacks at Fall Classic - Tri-City Storm
- Lancers Announce New Additions to Hockey Operations Staff - Omaha Lancers
- Same Voice, New Title for Harwood - Waterloo Black Hawks
- The Aftermath: Storm Opens Season with Win over Capitols - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.