Simpson's Late Goal Lifts Bugs over Wings
The Shreveport Mudbugs (1-1) got a late goal from Burke Simpson to squeeze out a narrow 1-0 win over the Aberdeen Wings Thursday night at the 2021 NAHL Showcase.
The Bugs and Wings had a fast-paced opening period as both teams had their chances. It was a scoreless, but physical frame as Aberdeen led in SOG, 9-6.
Both teams had an action-packed second period which found the first powerplay belonging to Shreveport at the mid-way point. The Bugs were unable to get much going on the man-advantage and both goalies made big saves to keep the game scoreless. The Wings led in SOG, 16-13 after two.
The Bugs broke the ice on the scoreboard at 16:48 when Burke Simpson powered home his first goal of the season along the short side on a perfect tic-tac-toe play to make it a 1-0 Shreveport lead. Connor Gatto earned the only assist on the game's only tally.
Devon Bobak stopped all 25 shots he faced as he earns his first shutout and first win as a Bug in net.
The Mudbugs will continue their showcase tomorrow afternoon as they'll play the Janesville Jets. Puck drop is scheduled for 2:45 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from September 17, 2021
- Titans Fall to Bruins 4-1 in Hard Fought Battle - New Jersey Titans
- Simpson's Late Goal Lifts Bugs over Wings - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bugs Fall Late to Jets - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Game Preview vs. Maryland Black Bears - Odessa Jackalopes
- Tomahawks Get First Win Friday at Showcase - Johnstown Tomahawks
- NAHL Showcase Preview: Aberdeen Wings - Springfield Jr. Blues
- Wings Come up Short against Shreveport Thursday - Aberdeen Wings
- Titans Overcome 2 Goal Deficit and Defeat Chippewa 5-2 - New Jersey Titans
- Rebels Strike Early, Nab First Win of 2021-22 against Bulls - North Iowa Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.