Shut Down & Shut Out; Missions Win, 2-0
Aaron Leasher and two relievers combined on a two-hitter Saturday night as the San Antonio Missions shut out the RockHounds, 2-0, at Nelson Wolff Stadium.
Leasher (see "Kibbles & Bits," below) was outstanding, allowing just one hit and one walk (while striking out four) over six innings. Nick Kuzia tossed two perfect innings, striking out four of the six batters he faced, and Jose Quezada closed the door in the ninth for his seventh save of the season.
The game was scoreless entering the last of the fifth when Juan Fernandez tripled to center field with one out. Brad Zunica followed with an RBI double to right and the Missions had all the offense they would need.
Jack Suwinksi added an insurance run in the last of the eighth inning with a solo home run (his eighth of the season) off reliever Aaron Brown.
Bryce Conley took the tough loss, allowing one run over five innings, with four walks and four strikeouts. He gave up just two hits, but they were the back-to-back run-producing swings from Fernandez and Zunica.
San Antonio has now clinched the (six-game) series, taking four of the first five games entering Sunday afternoon's finale (2:00).
The Missions (19-16) also took over second place in Double-A Central South Division, one game ahead of the RockHounds (18-17).
The 'Hounds, after winning seven straight during the recent homestand, have dropped 6-of-their-last-7.
Kibbles & Bits
In his June 1 start at Springfield against the Cardinals, Aaron Leasher didn't get out of the first inning, allowing five runs (four earned) on four hits and a walk in just one-third of an inning. He also started the last game of that series (June 6) and tossed five scoreless innings, allowing six hits and one walk while striking out a half-dozen Springfield batters. He then threw six shutout innings Saturday night against the RockHounds, giving him 11 consecutive scoreless frames after not surviving the first inning in his previous start.
Sunday, June 13 vs. San Antonio Missions
Nelson Wolff Stadium San Antonio, Texas
First pitch 2:05 p.m.
Final of a six-game series and sixth of a 12-game road trip
SA: Russ Knehr (RH, 4-1, 3.79)
RH: Kyle Friedrichs (RH, 0-1, 6.35)
Next at Rocky Town
The RockHounds return home Tuesday, June 22, to host the Wichita Wind Surge (AA affiliate of the Minnesota Twins) in a six-game homestand at Momentum Bank Ballpark (Tuesday-Sunday, June 22-27).
• Discuss this story on the Double-A Central League message board...
Double-A Central League Stories from June 12, 2021
- Drillers Fall Despite Dominant Start from Pepiot - Tulsa Drillers
- Sod Poodles Rattle off Seven Unanswered Runs in Comeback Win - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Surge Win in Extra Innings - Wichita Wind Surge
- Shut Down & Shut Out; Missions Win, 2-0 - Midland RockHounds
- San Antonio Missions Clinch Series Win against RockHounds - San Antonio Missions
- Gorman's 3 HR Night Gives Cards Win - Arkansas Travelers
- Series in Frisco Evens with Back-To-Back Losses - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Josh Morgan Homers Twice; Travs Come Back to Top Cards - Arkansas Travelers
- Back-To-Back Blasts Set Stage for Win at Hodgetown - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Sod Poodles Drop Game Four to Hooks 8-3 - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Drillers Stay Perfect in Homestand with 5-1 Victory - Tulsa Drillers
- Frisco Slugs Four Homers, Drops Northwest Arkansas - Frisco RoughRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.