Surge Win in Extra Innings
Tulsa, OK - Aaron Whitefield drove home three runs and the Wichita Wind Surge defeated the Tulsa Drillers 4-2 in ten innings in front of a sell-out crowd of 7,935 at ONEOK Field in Tulsa.
The Drillers scored a run in the fourth inning to take the early lead, 1-0. Tulsa added another run in the fifth inning to make it a 2-0 advantage.
The Surge were held without a hit for the first six innings of the game. Tulsa starter Ryan Pepiot allowed one base-runner on a sixth inning walk. The Wind Surge offense tied the game in the seventh, Jermaine Palacios drew a lead-off walk and Ernie De La Trinidad singled to left field. Whitefield drilled a two out, two run single into centerfield to tie the game.
In the tenth inning the designated runner BJ Boyd advanced to third on a ground out from Andrew Bechtold and scored on a Whitefield sacrifice fly. Peter Mooney followed with a solo home run.
Zach Neff pitched an inning and two thirds to earn his third win of the season. The Wind Surge snapped a season long five game losing streak. The team is 2 Â½ games back of Tulsa with a record of 19-16.
NOTES- Wichita improved to 2-1 in extra-inning games. Caleb Hamilton nine game hit streak came to an end with no hits in four at bats. Jovani Moran pitched two scoreless innings, he has not allowed a run in his last seven appearances (12 2/3 innings pitched.
COMING UP: The Wind Surge will conclude the six game series in Tulsa on Sunday afternoon at 1:05 pm. Wichita will start RHP Josh Winder (1-0, 2.27) against RHP Geraldo Carillio (1-0, 3.46). RADIO/TV: KGSO 1410 AM and 93.9 FM, MiLB-TV and Windsurge.com
The Wind Surge return home on Tuesday to face Springfield Cardinals, AA-St Louis Cardinals. The Surge are home for a six-game series and hit the road for twelve games. Wichita is in a stretch of 18 of 24 away games.
• Discuss this story on the Double-A Central League message board...
Double-A Central League Stories from June 12, 2021
- Drillers Fall Despite Dominant Start from Pepiot - Tulsa Drillers
- Sod Poodles Rattle off Seven Unanswered Runs in Comeback Win - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Surge Win in Extra Innings - Wichita Wind Surge
- Shut Down & Shut Out; Missions Win, 2-0 - Midland RockHounds
- San Antonio Missions Clinch Series Win against RockHounds - San Antonio Missions
- Gorman's 3 HR Night Gives Cards Win - Arkansas Travelers
- Series in Frisco Evens with Back-To-Back Losses - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Josh Morgan Homers Twice; Travs Come Back to Top Cards - Arkansas Travelers
- Back-To-Back Blasts Set Stage for Win at Hodgetown - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Sod Poodles Drop Game Four to Hooks 8-3 - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Drillers Stay Perfect in Homestand with 5-1 Victory - Tulsa Drillers
- Frisco Slugs Four Homers, Drops Northwest Arkansas - Frisco RoughRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wichita Wind Surge Stories
- Wind Surge and Naturals Square off for Double-A Central Crown
- Surge Close out Regular Season with Dominant Victory
- Surge Comeback Attempt Comes up Short in Game Five
- Sands and Funderburk Shutdown Travs for Wichita's Third Straight Win
- Wind Surge Clinch Division with Thursday Night Thriller