SCP Worldwide Purchases American Hockey League's Peoria Rivermen
July 3, 2008 - American Hockey League (AHL) News Release
New York, NY - July 3, 2008 - SCP Worldwide, principal owner and operator of the National Hockey League's (NHL) St. Louis Blues, announced today that it has closed on its purchase of the American Hockey League's (AHL) Peoria Rivermen franchise. The Rivermen, the long-time St. Louis Blues affiliate, will now be operated by the NHL franchise. SCP Worldwide purchased the AHL franchise from long-time owners Bruce Saurs and Anne Griffith. Mr. Saurs will continue to remain with the team as a consultant.
The transaction was approved by the AHL at its league meetings last week.
"We are extremely proud to be owners of this very special franchise," said Mike McCarthy, Partner, SCP Worldwide and Vice Chairman, St. Louis Blues. "It is a franchise that comes to us from the gifted hands of Bruce Saurs and Anne Griffith. It is important for us to continue their mission of providing Peoria a team they can be proud of on and off the ice. We are also grateful that Bruce has decided to remain with us as a consultant. His depth of knowledge and experience is extremely valued."
"This is the best thing for the franchise," said Bruce Saurs and Anne Griffith. "The combination of the SCP Worldwide ownership group and their management team from the St. Louis Blues will make the Rivermen franchise a stronger organization that we know will carry it to new heights."
"This purchase will allow us the opportunity to marry two strong brands - the St. Louis Blues and the Peoria Rivermen," said Peter McLoughlin, CEO, St. Louis Blues Enterprises. "Most importantly, it will give us the ability to be in the position to create value for both franchises that was previously not available."
"We are now in a position to continue to develop our players under our system and oversight," said John Davidson, President, Hockey Operations, St. Louis Blues. "Now we will march forward with the same goal we have in St. Louis, which is to win a
championship in Peoria."
As a result of the transaction, Rivermen President and CEO Bart Rogers, will now report to Marty Brooks, who officially joins the St. Louis Blues organization as Executive Vice President, and General Manager, Scottrade Center on Wednesday, July 9th, after 11 seasons overseeing the business operation of the Hartford Wolf Pack, the American Hockey League affiliate of the New York Rangers. Marty will be based in St. Louis reporting directly to Peter McLoughlin.
Additionally, Kevin McDonald, General Manager, Peoria Rivermen will continue to report to St. Louis Blues President, Hockey Operations, John Davidson and his staff as they oversee the franchise's player development and hockey operations.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from July 3, 2008
- Ex-Bulldog Denis signed by Habs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Coyotes Renew Affiliation Agreement With San Antonio Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Ex-Bulldog gets NHL contract - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Florida Signs Defenseman Rory Fitzpatrick to Two-Year Deal - Rochester Americans
- SCP Worldwide Completes Purchase of the Peoria Rivermen - Peoria Rivermen
- SCP Worldwide Purchases American Hockey League's Peoria Rivermen - AHL
- Moose extend affiliation with Salmon Kings - Manitoba Moose
- Moose Sign Scott Howes - Manitoba Moose
- Moose sign Karl Goehring - Manitoba Moose
- Islanders Add Depth with Signings - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Lightning Sign Unrestricted Free Agent Center Wyatt Smith - Norfolk Admirals
- Canadiens Trade Grabovski to Maple Leafs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Dallas Stars sign Maxime Fortunus - Manitoba Moose
- Canadiens Sign Ex-Bulldogs Defencemen Alex Henry - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Lightning Sign David Koci - Norfolk Admirals
- Falcons Head Coach Jeff Truitt To Serve As Honorary Captain - Springfield Falcons
- Coyotes Sign Drew Fata And Derek Nesbitt - San Antonio Rampage
- Columbus Blue Jackets Sign Free Agent Forward Kristian Huselius to a Four-Year Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Columbus Blue Jackets Acquire Defensemen Fedor Tyutin and Christian Backman - Syracuse Crunch
- Islanders Sign Two AHL All-Stars - AHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.