Saginaw Spirit Prepare for 2019 Under-17 OHL Priority Selection Draft
Saginaw, MI - The Saginaw Spirit prepare for the OHL Under-17 Priority Selection Draft, in which they choose 19th overall and will make a total of 14 picks. The Priority Selection Draft takes place on Saturday, April 6 at 9:00 am and is the first step to the 2019-20 season, the 18th in Saginaw Spirit franchise history.
To follow along pick by pick online visit, www.saginawspirit.com/priorityselection and follow the Spirit on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
The Spirit will make the following picks in the 2019 Under-17 Priority Selection Draft:
1 first round pick (19th overall)
1 second round pick (30th overall)
1 third round pick (48th overall)
1 fifth round pick (87th overall)
1 sixth round pick (120th overall)
1 eighth round pick (160th overall)
1 ninth round pick (180th overall)
1 tenth round pick (200th overall)
2 eleventh round picks (206th overall, 220th overall)
1 twelfth round pick (240th overall)
1 thirteenth round pick (260th overall)
1 fourteenth round pick (280th overall)
1 fifteenth round pick (300th overall)
Notable 19th overall picks in the OHL Priority Selection over the years include Sarnia Sting Head Coach and former Detroit Red Wing, Derian Hatcher, who was selected by the North Bay Centennials (Saginaw Spirit) in 1989. Hatcher appeared in 1045 NHL games with Minnesota / Dallas, Detroit, and Philadelphia and won a Stanley Cup with Dallas in 1999.
Sudbury Wolves Head Coach Cory Stillman was selected 19th overall in 1990 by the Windsor Spitfires. Stillman won two Stanley Cups in his career as an NHL player, in 2003-04 with Tampa Bay and in 2005-06 with Carolina.
In 2005, Josh Bailey was selected 19th overall by the Owen Sound Attack. Bailey is currently second on the New York Islanders in team scoring and is coming off of a career-high 71 points in 2017-18.
2006 saw Buffalo Sabres defenseman Zach Bogosian go 19th overall to the Peterborough Petes. Bogosian is in his 11th NHL season, and recent appeared in his 600th NHL game.
The London Knights selected current Ottawa Senators forward Chris Tierny 19th overall in 2010. The two-time OHL champion was recently acquired by the Sens in the Erik Karlsson trade with San Jose.
Before Mitch Marner became a star for the Toronto Maple Leafs, he was selected by the London Knights 19th overall in 2013. The 2016 Memorial Cup Champion leads the Maple Leafs in scoring with 92 points on the season.
For a full list of players taken in the OHL Priority Selection Draft since the Spirit's inception in 2002, click here.
For tickets and more information:
Reserve your seat at The Dow Event Center by calling (989) 497-7747 or visit www.saginawspirit.com for more information. YOUR Region. YOUR team. YOU'RE invited.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from April 4, 2019
- Series Preview: Soo vs Saginaw (Round 2) - Soo Greyhounds
- Troops Assessing Prospects - North Bay Battalion
- Brazeau Signs with Marlies - North Bay Battalion
- Playoff Game Preview: Guelph Storm vs. London Knights - Guelph Storm
- Saginaw Spirit Prepare for 2019 Under-17 OHL Priority Selection Draft - Saginaw Spirit
- Petes Exchange Picks with Attack Ahead of 2019 OHL Priority Selection - Peterborough Petes
- Post Season Preview Round 2 Gens vs. IceDogs - Oshawa Generals
- Attack Acquire 2nd Round Pick in Trade with Petes - Owen Sound Attack
- Sting Select 7th Overall to Kick off 2019 OHL Priority Selection this Saturday - Sarnia Sting
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Saginaw Spirit Stories
- Spirit Graduate Justin Murray Signs AHL Contract with Bridgeport
- Spiritâ??s Prosvetov Signs with Coyotes
- Saginaw Spirit Sign 2019 Import Draft Pick Ilya Solovyov
- Spirit Hire Jesse Messier as Assistant Coach
- Spirit Announce 2019 Preseason Schedule; Participation in Preseason Showcase