RSL DF Carlos Salcedo Eligible for Saturday's Match at Montreal
SANDY, Utah (Friday, May 10, 2013) - Real Salt Lake DF Carlos Salcedo will not be suspended for Saturday's game at the Montreal Impact.
Salcedo was shown a second yellow card and ejected in second half stoppage time for a handball in the box during RSL's 2-1 win at the New England Revolution on Wednesday night. However, referee Jose Carlos Rivero mistakenly identified Salcedo - who was trailing the play by several yards - in giving him the yellow. Rivero informed MLS of the error after the game and Salcedo's card has been rescinded and re-applied to RSL DF Tony Beltran. Salcedo faced a one-game ban for his ejection; that ban is now lifted as the second yellow card is no longer attributed to him.
Here is the league's full statement:
"During Wednesday night's game against the New England Revolution, Real Salt Lake defender Carlos Salcedo was mistakenly identified and shown a yellow card that resulted in his wrongful send off. Through the Professional Referee Organization, the referee informed MLS of the error after the game. Therefore, the caution has been expunged from Salcedo's record and he will be eligible to play versus Montreal on Saturday.
Tony Beltran will be assessed the caution that was rightfully due him. The next disciplinary points report will reflect this additional caution in Mr. Beltran's total."
RSL will take on the Impact at 12:00 p.m. MT on Saturday at Stade Saputo . The game will be broadcast live on CW30, ESPN 700 AM and 102.3 La Gran D FM/1600 AM.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 10, 2013
- Avila Provides Experience Heading into Portland - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Warzycha Turns to Youth with O'Rourke out against Rapids - Columbus Crew SC
- Sporting KC Aims to End Houston's Home Unbeaten Streak on Sunday - Sporting Kansas City
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Suspends San Jose Midfielder Marvin Chavez - MLS
- Second Home Game this Week Pits Revolution against New York Red Bulls - New England Revolution
- RSL DF Carlos Salcedo Eligible for Saturday's Match at Montreal - Real Salt Lake
- Impact Hosts Real Salt Lake on Saturday - Montreal Impact
- Real Salt Lake Match Preview: RSL at Montreal Impact - Real Salt Lake
- Preview: Crew vs. Rapids - Columbus Crew SC
- MLS Match Preview: Crew vs. Rapids - Columbus Crew SC
- Chivas USA Acquire Midfielder Aaron Ponce - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Tchani Settles into Midfield Role - Columbus Crew SC
- D.C. United Announces Details of Annual Celebrity Golf Tournament - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.