Rowdies Sign Goalkeeper John McCarthy
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - The Tampa Bay Rowdies have signed goalkeeper John McCarthy ahead of the 2019 USL Championship season.
McCarthy, 26, comes to the Rowdies after spending the last four seasons with Major League Soccer's Philadelphia Union. In his time with the Union, McCarthy made a total of 21 MLS appearances. He also played 26 matches in the USL Championship with the Bethlehem Steel.
"We've played against John on a number of occasions and he's always proven tricky to beat," Rowdies Head Coach Neill Collins said. "The closer I looked at him, the more I realized just how underappreciated his talent is due to the no-nonsense nature of how he plays the goalkeeping position. John is someone that, when he comes here and plays every week, as opposed to bouncing between the MLS and USL teams in Philadelphia, people will start to know just how good of a player he is. From all our due diligence, it's quite clear that he's a good person, a good professional and a top goalkeeper."
He made his professional debut in 2014 with the Rochester Rhinos. That season, he won the USL Pro Goalkeeper of the Year and Rookie of the Year awards for posting 10 clean sheets in 19 matches.
McCarthy is the first goalkeeper on the roster for 2019.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from January 31, 2019
- Two Republic FC Academy Players Called up to U-18 U.S. Men's National Team - Sacramento Republic FC
- Atlanta United 2 signs Guillermo Benitez on loan - Atlanta United 2
- NCFC Youth Academy Standout Signs with Celtic FC, Returns on Loan with North Carolina FC - North Carolina FC
- Switchbacks FC 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Format and Schedule Finalized - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- American Defender Dakota Barnathan Joins Fury FC - Ottawa Fury FC
- San Antonio FC Signs Midfielder Cristian Parano - San Antonio FC
- Charleston Battery Reveals Preseason Schedule - Charleston Battery
- Lights FC Sign Pair of Cameroon Youth National Team Stars - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Phoenix Rising FC Adds 17-Year Old Local Goalkeeper Brandon Keniston to Roster for 2019 Season - Phoenix Rising FC
- Hartford Athletic Invites Five Players from Open Tryouts to Preseason Training - Hartford Athletic
- Swope Park Rangers Signs Brazilian Midfielder Alexsander on Loan - Swope Park Rangers
- Rowdies Sign Goalkeeper John McCarthy - Tampa Bay Rowdies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.