Rockland Takes Series, 4-1
The Rockland Boulders had a strong pitching performance from left-hander Garrett Johnson, coupled with a three-run third inning to defeat the New Jersey Jackals 4-1 on Sunday afternoon.
Rockland won the series two games to three after doing so on June 1-3 at Palisades Credit Union Park.
Former New York Mets reliever Vic Black made his first start in professional baseball for New Jersey.
Black went five innings allowing three earned runs on four hits and struck out five while walking two.
In the top of the third, catcher Marcus Nidiffer hit his fourth home run of the season, his second of the series with a solo shot to right-center field.
Later, second baseman Jared McDonald delivered a two RBI single to give the Boulders the 3-0 edge.
In the fifth, Johnson started to lose his command, throwing three wild pitches.
By doing so, designated hitter Seth Spivey advanced from first to third before coming home for the Jackals only run of the game.
Johnson departed in the inning with a season high eight strikeouts and one walk while issuing the one run on one hit.
Right fielder Connor Bierfeldt lined an RBI double in the top of the eighth inning to score shortstop J.C. Rodriguez, giving the Boulders a 4-1 lead and eventual win.
Closer Kyle Hansen tallied his fifth save of the season after working a scoreless ninth for Rockland.
The Jackals return to action on Tuesday, June 12 as they welcome in the Dominican Republic to begin a three game international series.
First pitch is set for 7:05 P.M.
(Notes: In the bottom of the fifth inning, Jackals third baseman Gerald Bautista hit a towering fly ball that appeared to be a two-run home run...it was ruled foul, however, prompting third base coach Daiske Yoshida to be thrown out of the game.)
• Discuss this story on the Canadian American League message board...
Canadian American League Stories from June 11, 2018
- Igueroa Named Player of the Week - Sussex County Miners
- New Jersey Jackals Strike Back for Star Wars Night - New Jersey Jackals
- Rockland Takes Series, 4-1 - New Jersey Jackals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Jersey Jackals Stories
- Montclair Foundation Grant Allows Expanded Free Programming for Military Veterans at the Yogi Berra Museum
- Former NY Knicks Star Appearance Kicks off New Exhibition
- Yogi Berra Museum to Host Free Veterans Resources Fair
- This Saturday: The Yogi Berra Stadium Food Truck & Craft Beer Festival
- Five Run Eighth Propels Jackals to Victory