Rock Acquire Greg Downing from Albany for Draft Pick
March 13, 2023 - National Lacrosse League (NLL) - Toronto Rock News Release
Oakville, ON - Toronto Rock Owner, President and GM Jamie Dawick today announced the team has acquired veteran defender Greg Downing from the Albany FireWolves in exchange for the Rock's second round pick in the 2023 NLL Draft.
The Rock have run into some injuries in recent weeks and the 37-year-old Downing will not only add some depth but also bolster the league's top defensive unit.
Downing did not play for the FireWolves on Saturday night against the Rock as the two teams were in the final stages of coming to an agreement on the deal. This season with Albany, his 14th in the NLL, he has played 9 games, picking up 3 assists, 35 loose balls and has 6 caused turnovers.
"Greg's a veteran defender who is hard to play against and someone we think is a good addition and will fit well with our current personnel," said Rock Head Coach Matt Sawyer. "He's excited to come to the Toronto Rock and get to work."
With the addition of Downing to the Active Roster, the Rock have placed forward Marley Angus on the Practice Roster.
Toronto will be on the road for the next two weekends, travelling to Halifax on Saturday to face the Thunderbirds followed by a game against Downing's former team the FireWolves on Saturday, March 25 in Albany.
For more information on Toronto Rock tickets, please contact a Toronto Rock account executive by phone at 416-596-3075, by email at email@example.com or visit torontorock.com.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from March 13, 2023
- Warriors to Celebrate St. Patrick's Day on March 17 - Vancouver Warriors
- Game Preview: San Diego Seals vs. Vancouver Warriors - San Diego Seals
- Knighthawks and Veterans Outreach Center Partner to Host Military Salute Knight - Rochester Knighthawks
- Wings Fall Flat in Loss to Riptide - Philadelphia Wings
- Rock Acquire Greg Downing from Albany for Draft Pick - Toronto Rock
- Albany FireWolves Trade Greg Downing to Toronto Rock - Albany FireWolves
- Riptide to Host Cystic Fibrosis Night on Saturday, March 18 with Proceeds Benefiting the Boomer Esiason Foundation - New York Riptide
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.