Riptide Sign Downs to One-Year Contract
New York, NY - The New York Riptide announced today that forward Dereck Downs has been signed to a one-year contract for the 2020-21 National Lacrosse League season. The deal is pending league approval.
Per team policy, no terms were released.
Traded to the Riptide on July 2nd from the Calgary Roughnecks, Downs saw action in six games for Calgary last season after being traded from the New England Black Wolves on January 4th. With the Roughnecks he had 13 points on three goals and 10 assists while scooping up 11 lose balls. Prior to the trade, Downs had one goal, one assist and five loose balls in one game for the Black Wolves.
"We are thrilled to have Dereck Downs signed," Riptide general manager Jim Veltman said. "We believe he has untapped potential to become a significant part of our offense. Riptide fans will love the hard work he displays at getting other guys open and driving to the net when he has the ball."
Downs, selected 59th overall by the Black Wolves in the 2018 NLL Entry Draft, had 23 points on 16 goals and seven assists in 15 games as a rookie during the 2018-19 season.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from July 31, 2020
- Riptide Sign Downs to One-Year Contract - New York Riptide
- Roughnecks Re-Sign Defenceman Mitch Wilde - Calgary Roughnecks
- Riptide Partner with Island Box Lacrosse to Launch Riptide Training Academy - New York Riptide
- San Diego Seals, Everbowl and Home of Guiding Hands Introduce Month-Long Healthy Lifestyle and Charity Initiative - San Diego Seals
- Rush Land Currier & Two First-Round Picks from Wings - Saskatchewan Rush
- Captain Corbeil Re-Signs with Rush - Saskatchewan Rush
- Knighthawks Re-Sign Knight to One-Year Agreement - Rochester Knighthawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.