Revolution Conclude Preseason with 3-3 Draw vs. LAFC
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The New England Revolution wrapped up the 2021 preseason on Saturday with a 3-3 draw against Los Angeles FC at Banc of California Stadium. Adam Buksa opened the scoring 60 seconds after kickoff before Matt Polster doubled the lead in the 7th minute. Carles Gil provided the Revs' third goal from the penalty spot in the second half.
New England took the lead moments into the match as Buksa picked the pocket of a LAFC defender and finished the play himself for his team-leading third preseason goal. Five minutes later, Polster's left-footed shot from outside the area found the bottom-right corner to give the Revs a 2-0 lead. LAFC pulled level with goals from Diego Rossi and Carlos Vela, before Buksa drew a penalty, which Carles Gil converted in the 61st minute to put New England back in front. The contest finished 3-3 as LAFC's Eddie Segura tallied the equalizer in the 84th minute.
The Revs now return to Boston to shift their full attention to next week's MLS regular season opener - Saturday, April 17 vs. Chicago Fire FC (8:30 p.m. ET). The match will air locally on WBZ-TV, myRITV, and 98.5 The Sports Hub.
- With the 2021 MLS regular season opener one week away on April 17, Sporting Director & Head Coach Bruce Arena gave nine different players a 90-minute outing in the club's final preseason match. Goalkeeper Matt Turner, defenders DeJuan Jones, Henry Kessler, Andrew Farrell, and Brandon Bye, midfielders Carles Gil and Matt Polster, and forwards Adam Buksa and Gustavo Bou all went the distance in Saturday's friendly.
- Adam Buksa's unassisted goal in the 2nd minute was his team-leading third goal in four preseason games.
- Buksa also drew a penalty in the second half when he was clipped on the heels from behind inside the area. Carles Gil entered the match with two assists on the preseason.
- Matt Polster's strike in the 7th minute from outside the box was his first tally of the preseason.
- New England concludes the preseason with a (2-1-2) record in the club's friendlies against LA Galaxy, LAFC, and LA Galaxy II.
New England Revolution 3, Los Angeles FC 3
April 10, 2021 - Banc of California Stadium (Los Angeles, Calif.)
NE - Adam Buksa 2'
NE - Matt Polster 7'
LAFC - Diego Rossi 14'
LAFC - Carlos Vela 58'
NE - Carles Gil (Penalty Kick) 61'
LAFC - Eddie Segura 84'
New England Revolution Lineup: Matt Turner; DeJuan Jones, Andrew Farrell, Henry Kessler, Brandon Bye; Carles Gil ©, Maciel (Scott Caldwell 74'), Matt Polster, Tajon Buchanan (Tommy McNamara 68'); Adam Buksa, Gustavo Bou
Defender Andrew Farrell (April 10, 2021)
On his takeaways from the preseason finale:
Farrell: "Yeah, it was good. I think offensively we did well. We created chances, scored a couple, got the pen. I liked the work from Adam [Buksa] up top getting in behind and making it tough on their defenders. They had a high line and we got balls in behind them and tested their backline. Again, we've got to do better on a couple set pieces, a couple turnovers that led to counterattacks, but it was good to get 90 minutes for a lot of guys and get ready for the opener at Chicago next week."
On the increased intensity of next Saturday's regular season game:
Farrell: "It gets us ready for it. The intensity is amped up just a little bit more in preparation for next week. But yeah, it was good. It was good to have that fire burning - fire burning, we're going to play the Fire - but no, it was good. Good effort from everybody. Obviously there's things that we've got to improve on, but again, a lot of positives to take away from this one."
On building fitness with a 90-minute performance:
Farrell: "It was a hot one today and I think the fitness has been good throughout, but just to get 90 minutes right before the big one is really good."
On playing alongside Henry Kessler in central defense:
Farrell: "Yeah, because that's the first time this preseason that we've played together, so it's important to get that partnership going. We had, I think, something good last year, but without playing that long together, it doesn't just come back quickly, so we've got to keep on working on that. But again, it was a good effort from all the guys."
On next weekend's season opener in Chicago:
Farrell: "I'm so ready. It's been a while, so can't wait for April 17. Excited to get back home tonight, prepare, take a nice day off, and then get back to working in preparation for the Fire."
Midfielder Matt Polster (April 10, 2021)
On treating this game like a dress rehearsal:
Polster: "I think the main thing is it to get 90 minutes under a lot of guys' legs. That was the main goal, and then to push ourselves against a really good team. I thought we played well. It's a little disappointing again to give up a late goal, especially on a set piece. I know Bruce isn't going to be very happy about that. For the most part, I thought we had a really good preseason."
On the intensity of today's game:
Polster: "Yeah, we definitely pushed each other, I thought. A lot of tackles, a lot of competing out there. It's good to get us ready for the game against Chicago coming up. I know we'll be ready."
On scoring his first goal in a Revolution shirt:
Polster: "I don't think I've ever scored with my left. It's nice to get my first goal for the Revs. Obviously, it's a preseason game, but to show that I can do it. I know I can do it as well."
On how ready he is for next weekend's season opener against Chicago:
Polster: "We're definitely ready. I think we have a couple things to tweak on set pieces. Other than that, I think our play was OK. I think if we just keep pushing ourselves next week for Chicago, we'll be all right."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 10, 2021
- LA Galaxy Tops Real Salt Lake in Preseason Scrimmage in Tucson, Arizona - LA Galaxy
- Austin FC Defeats San Antonio FC 5-1 in Last Preseason La Copita Match - Austin FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Fall to FC Dallas in Preseason Finale - Houston Dynamo FC
- Preseason Match Between Nashville SC and Birmingham Legion Cancelled - Nashville SC
- LAFC Wrap up Preseason, Play New England to 3-3 Draw - Los Angeles FC
- Revolution Conclude Preseason with 3-3 Draw vs. LAFC - New England Revolution
- Nashville Soccer Club Acquires Defender Dylan Nealis from Inter Miami CF - Nashville SC
- Inter Miami CF Preseason Scrimmages Update - Inter Miami CF
- Nashville SC Excited to Open 2021 Season in Front of Fans - Nashville SC
- New York City FC Signs Forward Thiago Andrade from EC Bahia - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- New England Revolution Youth Development Highlights: May 5, 2021
- Revolution Win Second Straight at Home, 2-1, against Atlanta United FC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Atlanta United FC
- New England Revolution Youth Development Highlights: April 28, 2021
- Revolution Defeat D.C. United, 1-0, in 2021 Home Opener