Republic FC Signs Goalkeeper Adam Grinwis
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Sacramento Republic FC announced today it has reached an agreement with experienced MLS goalkeeper Adam Grinwis, pending league and federation approval. Terms of the agreement were not disclosed.
"Adam impressed us greatly when looking at his game footage from both MLS and USL, and he has won a championship at the professional level," said Republic FC General Manager Todd Dunivant. "We think he has significant upside, and we believe he has the tools and mindset to become a top goalkeeper."
Grinwis spent the 2018 season signed to Orlando City SC, where he made five appearances, recorded 14 saves and earned one clean sheet with the Floridian club. In 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup action, the Ada, MI, native delivered a pair of extra time penalty kick saves during a Quarterfinal showdown with New York City FC, helping Orlando City SC advance in the tournament. Late in the 2018 season, Orlando City loaned Grinwis to Real Monarchs for the remainder of the season where he made four appearances with the USL side before being recalled back to his parent MLS club.
In 2017, Grinwis joined USL Championship side Saint Louis FC. During his single season with the Midwestern club, the netminder make 61 saves in 14 appearances including five clean sheets.
Prior to his season in Saint Louis, in 2015 Grinwis signed with USL's Rochester Rhinos where he spent two seasons, made 20 appearances, and helped guide the New York club to the 2015 USL regular season title and USL Cup.
From 2012-2014, Grinwis played for the Michigan Bucks of the Premier Development League where he tallied 29 career appearances, lifted the 2014 USL PDL Championship title and was named the MVP of the PDL Championship match. He also received the PDL Goalkeeper of the Year honor as well as PDL Rookie of the Year award in 2012, which was the same season his team eliminated MLS-side Chicago Fire in the U.S. Open Cup in a true David versus Goliath-esc upset.
The 27-year-old played collegiately at the University of Michigan where he made 68 appearances for the Wolverines. In 2014, the shot-stopper was named Michigan Club Man of the Year and in 2012, Grinwis was chosen to the All-Big Ten Second-Team as well as being honored as an All-Big Ten Tournament selection. He also made 12 saves in a single game against Penn State in 2012, a Big Blue record for a single match, and finished his decorated career with the second-most saves (261) and six shutouts in a single season.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from January 21, 2020
- Creative Midfielder Vincent Bezecourt Joins the Miami FC - Miami FC
- Phoenix Rising Transfers Adam Jahn to Atlanta United - Phoenix Rising FC
- Sights Set on Lights FC Preseason - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Republic FC Signs Goalkeeper Adam Grinwis - Sacramento Republic FC
- San Antonio FC Announces 2020 Preseason Schedule - San Antonio FC
- LouCity Signs Ben Lundt on Loan - Louisville City FC
- Full Phoenix Rising Preseason Schedule Released - Phoenix Rising FC
- Kuzminsky Set to Join Maccabi Haifa on Loan Deal - Charleston Battery
- Rowdies Sign Goalkeeper Evan Louro - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Louisville City Signs Danny Cruz to Multi-Year Deal - Louisville City FC
- Defender Jordan Dover Inks Deal, Returns for Third Straight Season with Hounds - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- San Antonio FC Midfielders Leo Torres and Jose Gallegos Return for 2020 Season - San Antonio FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Republic FC Sign Trialist Ashkanov Apollon to First Team Contract
- Republic FC Extend Partnership with KQCA My58 and Estrella TV Sacramento to Broadcast 25 Games Throughout 2020 USL Championship Season
- Republic FC to Host Preseason Friendly against 2019 USL Championship Title-Winners Real Monarchs
- Republic FC Expands Volunteer Coaching Initiative to Include Free Tickets for 2020 Season
- Republic FC to Host Oakland Roots in Second Round of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup