LouCity Signs Ben Lundt on Loan
Louisville City Football Club will welcome goalkeeper Ben Lundt on a season-long loan for the 2020 season, the club announced Tuesday. Lundt, who was part of Louisville City's Eastern Conference title team in 2019, will be back on the roster for the club's first season in Lynn Family Stadium.
"We are excited that Ben is returning to our Club for another season," Louisville City Head Coach and Sporting Director John Hackworth said. "He is an extremely talented young goalkeeper who was an important member of our teams' success last season. He understands the standards and demands that we expect from all our players."
One of the top goalkeepers in college soccer while playing for the powerhouse Akron Zips, Lundt was drafted in the 2019 MLS SuperDraft by FC Cincinnati and then loaned to Louisville City last season. The 6-foot-6 Â½ goalkeeper made an immediate impact with the club, taking over the starting role in Game 2 as LouCity faced Atlanta United 2.
Producing a clean sheet in his first start, Lundt impressed teammates with three saves.
Lundt's height, wingspan and quickness made for an imposing presence in goal during his 12 starts for Louisville City in 2019.
"We're excited to bring back a player of Ben's quality to our squad," Louisville City goalkeepers coach Scott Budnick said. "It will be great to work with Ben and all of our goalkeepers as we prepare for another championship run."
With Lundt's help, Louisville City finished in the Top 10 in the USL Championship in goals allowed in 2019. Lundt recorded 21 saves and four clean sheets before injuring his foot in June. Chris Hubbard took over the starting role and registered 78 saves and five clean sheets.
The 2020 season will be Lundt's second season with Louisville City on loan from FC Cincinnati. The Berlin, Germany, native played for Hertha BSC's U-17 and U-23 clubs before coming to America to play at Lenoir-Rhyne University. After transferring to Akron, Lundt made 64 starts over three seasons while leading the Zips to three-straight MAC Championships and appearances in the NCAA College Cup in 2017 and 2018.
LouCity's current roster headed into 2020, listed alphabetically by position, is below:
Goalkeepers (2): Chris Hubbard, Ben Lundt Defenders (6): Oscar Jimenez, Pat McMahon, Jimmy Ockford, Alexis Souahy, Sean Totsch, Akil Watts Midfielders (6): Corben Bone, Paolo DelPiccolo, Napo Matsoso, Niall McCabe, Magnus Rasmussen, Speedy Williams Forwards (5): George Davis IV, Antoine Hoppenot, Brian Ownby, Luke Spencer, Abdou Thiam
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from January 21, 2020
- Creative Midfielder Vincent Bezecourt Joins the Miami FC - Miami FC
- Phoenix Rising Transfers Adam Jahn to Atlanta United - Phoenix Rising FC
- Sights Set on Lights FC Preseason - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Republic FC Signs Goalkeeper Adam Grinwis - Sacramento Republic FC
- San Antonio FC Announces 2020 Preseason Schedule - San Antonio FC
- LouCity Signs Ben Lundt on Loan - Louisville City FC
- Full Phoenix Rising Preseason Schedule Released - Phoenix Rising FC
- Kuzminsky Set to Join Maccabi Haifa on Loan Deal - Charleston Battery
- Rowdies Sign Goalkeeper Evan Louro - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Louisville City Signs Danny Cruz to Multi-Year Deal - Louisville City FC
- Defender Jordan Dover Inks Deal, Returns for Third Straight Season with Hounds - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- San Antonio FC Midfielders Leo Torres and Jose Gallegos Return for 2020 Season - San Antonio FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.