Republic FC Sign Four Youth Players to 'Academy Player on Professional Team' Contracts
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Sacramento Republic FC have added four academy players to their 2019 USL Championship roster. Forward Quincy Butler, midfielder Mario Penagos and defenders Hayden Sargis and Eddy Berumen join the first team under 'Academy Player on Professional Team' contracts, making all four players eligible for selection in league matches, including Saturday's season opener against Real Monarchs SLC.
"Our academy has produced so many quality players and this group currently represents the best of the best," said Republic FC General Manager Todd Dunivant. "They have trained with our first team throughout preseason and earned their place in the squad. We look forward to their continued development as they push for minutes throughout the season."
USL 'Academy Player on Professional Team' contracts are designed to preserve players' amateur status. They allow Republic FC Academy players to play in first team professional matches while still maintaining NCAA eligibility.
Butler was the first Republic FC Academy player to join the club's USL roster on an academy/USL contract. The 17-year-old winger has been with Republic FC's United States Soccer Development Academy (USSDA) since its inception in 2015, scoring 49 goals in 94 career academy appearances. Prior to joining Republic FC's Academy, Butler played with San Juan Soccer Club.
An Elk Grove native, Penagos is in his fourth season with the SRFC Academy. The 16-year-old made 32 appearances for the U-16/17 team last year, scoring seven goals in the span. That followed a break-out 2016-17 season with the U-14 team where he scored 28 goals from 27 appearances, all starts. Penagos was called up to the U-17 U.S. Men's National Team last year to compete in the 2018 Four Nations Tournament.
Sargis is also in his fourth season with the Republic FC youth academy. The 16-year-old center back and Turlock, Calif., native has made 85 appearances, 68 as starts, since joining the Academy during its inaugural season in 2015.
Berumen joined Republic FC's Academy in 2016, making 66 career appearances across his three seasons in the USSDA. The 17-year-old has previously been called up to the U-16 U.S. Boys' National Team.
Republic FC kick off their 2019 season at home on Saturday, March 9, against Real Monarchs SLC. Kickoff at Papa Murphy's Park in Cal Expo is at 7:30 p.m. and tickets to the match are available via Ticketmaster.com.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from March 7, 2019
- Tacoma Defiance Enters into Standard USL Loan Agreements with Four Players - Tacoma Defiance
- Reno 1868 FC Signs Five Ahead of Season Opener - Reno 1868 FC
- RGV FC Opens 2019 USL Championship Campaign at Tacoma Defiance - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- North Carolina FC Ready for Season Opener against Louisville City FC - North Carolina FC
- Orange County SC Signs Liga MX Goalkeeper Carlos Lopez Cortez - Orange County SC
- Memphis 901 FC Acquires Forward Elliot Collier on Loan from Chicago Fire - Memphis 901 FC
- Legion FC Signs Defender Kyle Culbertson - Birmingham Legion FC
- Legion FC Announces TV Schedule for 2019 USL Championship Season - Birmingham Legion FC
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC at Charleston Battery - Ottawa Fury FC
- Republic FC Sign Four Youth Players to 'Academy Player on Professional Team' Contracts - Sacramento Republic FC
- Match Preview vs. Austin - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Loudoun United FC Sign Midfielder Noah Pilato - Loudoun United
- New Mexico United Signs Tommy Madden and Manny Padilla - New Mexico United
- San Antonio FC to Host Home Opener Presented by H-E-B this Saturday at Toyota Field - San Antonio FC
- SPR Signs 16-Year-Old Academy Product Brooks Thompson - Swope Park Rangers
- Jordan Burt Named Switchbacks FC Captain for 2019 Season - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Official Club Statement on Today's Announcement from MLS
- Republic FC Will Host Stanford University in Exhibition Match on Saturday
- Republic FC's Second Round Matchup for 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Announced
- Republic FC's Villyan Bijev Has Red Card against Portland Timbers 2 Rescinded
- Republic FC Fall 1-0 on the Road to Portland Timbers 2