Reno Picks up Three Points on Road at Austin
AUSTIN, Texas - Reno 1868 FC earned three points on the road tonight, beating Austin Bold FC 2-1 to move back into second place in the USL's Western Conference. The boys in blue own a 15-9-5 record with 50 points on the season. The winning goal came from none other than Danny Musovski, his seventh goal in the last three matches.
"This was a really good road win for us," said head coach Ian Russell. "I thought we did really well in transition, from defense to attack especially, and created good chances on the break. I thought we defended our box really well too."
For the second match in a row, Reno would score first. Corey Hertzog would convert his second penalty of the season in the 20th minute to make it a 1-0 Reno lead. The goal was Hertzog's 14th of the season, tying a career high from 2017 in Pittsburgh. Hertzog already set a career high on the season with six assists.
In the 41st minute Austin would score an equalizer, though it would be short lived. In the 43rd minute, Musovski would finish a Sam Gleadle pass for his seventh goal in the last three matches. The goal added to Musovski's career-best season goal total, which now sits at 10. Only Hertzog has more among los azules.
"Danny's a very dangerous forward," said Russell. "Really good to get on the end of Sam's run, he's confident right now."
Reno would take the 2-1 lead into halftime. Heading into tonight, Reno had only lost one match when leading at halftime in 10 tries. Reno's first-half lead came in spite of eight Austin corner kicks.
In the second half, neither side would score despite Austin taking 20 shots. Bold FC finished with 25 total shots, but only the 41st minute goal was on target.
"We sat lower back on defense," said Russell. "They've got a lot of good players, a lot of experienced players. I thought we could sit back, absorb some pressure and score a third on the counter."
Austin finished with better marks in possession, corners, shots and duels won.
Fresno fell 3-1 at Las Vegas, giving Reno the edge for the second spot in the USL. Both Fresno and Reno have 50 points on the year, but 1868 FC sports 15 wins to Fresno's 14.
"At this point we're just trying to win games. It's nice to be tied for second place, but there are still five left. A lot of points still out there," said Russell.
The boys in blue will be on the road again next week, traveling to Albuquerque to take on New Mexico United on Friday at 6:30 p.m. PT.
Reno 1868 FC Starting XI
GK (12) Matt Bersano, D (16) Brent Richards ©, D (11) Duke Lacroix, D (6) Thomas Janjigian, D (3) Benjamin Galindo Cruz, M (40) Raul Mendiola, M (84) Seth Casiple, M (10) Lindo Mfeka, M (23) Sam Gleadle, F (21) Corey Hertzog, F (9) Danny Musovski
GK (25) Damion Lewis, F (17) Aidan Apodaca, D (2) Emrah Klimenta, M (30) Ivan Valencia, M (45) Mattia Trianni, F (32) Luis Paradela, M (22) Siad Haji
59' Luis Paradela Ã Corey Hertzog
72' Siad Haji Ã Raul Mendiola
80' Ivan Valencia Ã Danny Musovski
Corey Hertzog 20'
Danny Musovski 43'
Sam Gleadle 43'
Benjamin Galindo Cruz 52'
Lindo Mfeka 89'
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 15, 2019
- Reno Picks up Three Points on Road at Austin - Reno 1868 FC
- Austin Bold â?? 1 Reno 1868 FC â?? 2 Post-Game Notes - Reno 1868 FC
- Republic FC Come Back to Defeat RGV FC 2-1 at Home - Sacramento Republic FC
- Sacramento's Late Goal Upset Toros on the Road - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Orange County Derail El Paso Locomotive - Orange County SC
- Bethlehem Steel FC Falls to Indy Eleven 2-1 - Philadelphia Union II
- Preview: Nashville Looks to Find More Magic against Birmingham Legion on Tuesday Night - Nashville SC
- Delay Can't Stop New Mexico - New Mexico United
- Club Statement Regarding Tonight's Phoenix Rising vs. LA Galaxy II Match - Phoenix Rising FC
- Luces Hunt Down the Zorros - Las Vegas Lights FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno 1868 FC Stories
- Reno Tops Portland Behind FranÃÂ§ois Brace
- Reno Looks to Keep Lead on Group a in Trip to Portland
- Reno Clinches Fourth-Straight Trip to Playoffs in 3-2 Win
- Reno 1868 FC's game against Tacoma Defiance rescheduled Game to be played Thursday, September 17
- Reno 1868 Adds Former Collegiate Midfielder Justin Sokuw