Club Statement Regarding Tonight's Phoenix Rising vs. LA Galaxy II Match
This evening, Phoenix Rising had the chance to extend its historic winning streak to 20 matches and, with a Fresno loss to Las Vegas, clinch the number one seed in the Western Conference playoffs. Over the course of the match, the club showcased why it's among the best teams in the USL Championship and was en route to celebrating another three points in front of our home crowd.
The support and passion of our fan base is what makes Phoenix Rising matches such an electric atmosphere every time we host a match. With the club on the verge of its 20th-straight win, tonight's match was no different.
In the midst of this exhilarating atmosphere, a non-Phoenix Rising supporter allowed his frustration to get the best of him when he threw an object onto the field. In the interest of player safety, the referees decided to suspend the match and asked both teams to walk off the pitch.
As the two clubs were walking back to the locker rooms, a Rising fan retaliated by throwing an object onto the field and hitting an LA Galaxy II player in the lower back.
After a review of the situation, the referees abandoned the match with the score 4-1 in favor of Phoenix Rising. Per USL rules, a team that gas a three or more goal lead after 70 minutes of play is determined the winner, should the match be suspended for any reason.
Tonight's 4-1 win for Phoenix Rising officially extends the club's winning streak to 20 consecutive matches. With tonight's win, Phoenix Rising has officially clinched the No. 1 seed in the Western Conference playoffs.
While we cannot celebrate these achievements fully, we look forward to coming back home for our next home match and playing in front of our passionate and supportive fans.
Both fans were identified and have been banned from the stadium. In addition, the club will be moving to plastic cups for future games.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 15, 2019
- Reno Picks up Three Points on Road at Austin - Reno 1868 FC
- Austin Bold â?? 1 Reno 1868 FC â?? 2 Post-Game Notes - Reno 1868 FC
- Republic FC Come Back to Defeat RGV FC 2-1 at Home - Sacramento Republic FC
- Sacramento's Late Goal Upset Toros on the Road - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Orange County Derail El Paso Locomotive - Orange County SC
- Bethlehem Steel FC Falls to Indy Eleven 2-1 - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Preview: Nashville Looks to Find More Magic against Birmingham Legion on Tuesday Night - Nashville SC
- Delay Can't Stop New Mexico - New Mexico United
- Club Statement Regarding Tonight's Phoenix Rising vs. LA Galaxy II Match - Phoenix Rising FC
- Luces Hunt Down the Zorros - Las Vegas Lights FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Phoenix Rising FC Stories
- Phoenix Rising Caps Historic 2019 Regular Season with 3-1 Win over OKC Energy on $1 Beer Night
- Phoenix Rising Looks to Close out Historic 2019 Regular Season on High Note
- Phoenix Rising Falls to Real Monarchs 2-1
- Rising FC Duo Named to USL Championship Team of the Week
- Phoenix Rising Ties USL Championship Record for Wins with Wild 5-3 Victory over Portland