Delay Can't Stop New Mexico
(ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico) Two hours of yet another lightening delay at Isotopes Park did not dampen the spirits of the 12,000+ Black & Yellow faithful, and it did not prevent New Mexico United from winning their second game in a row. New Mexico defeated the Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC 3:1 on Saturday night, as hometown hero, Devon Sandoval registered his first hat trick of the 2019 campaign.
It only took 8 minutes, after the game finally kicked off at 9:25 PM local time, for Sandoval to net his first. His powerful blast from just inside the box flew past Colorado Springs Goalkeeper, Abraham Rodriguez. Sandoval's second would come in the 47th minute, following a sublime piece of vision and passing from United right back, Manny Padilla. The hat trick was completed in the 66th minute, when Padilla sent another beautiful ball into the box, and Sandoval headed it home coolly. Colorado Springs would get a goal back. Following a flurry of corner kick opportunities, Jordan Burt was able to connect with one of Ish Jome's offerings, and head a tricky ball past United keeper, Cody Mizell.
Sandoval is rounding into form at arguably the best time for his team. With 5 goals in his last two games, he has helped propel his side from outside the playoff picture to the 8th seed. With 5 of their 6 last matches at home, and a seemingly revitalized attack, Troy Lesesne's United are looking to move even higher up the table, in hopes of securing a home playoff match.
NM: Sandoval (8, 47, 66)
COS: Burt (78)
NM: Moar, 26' (Yellow); Hamilton, 36' (Yellow); Sandoval, 47' (Yellow)
COS: Romero, 32' (Yellow); Reaves, 51' (Yellow); Jome, 87' (Yellow)
NM: Possession: 62.6% Shots: 8 Shots on Goal: 6 Saves: 1 Fouls: 14 Corner Kicks: 2 Offside: 6
COS: Possession: 37.4% Shots: 12 Shots on Goal: 2 Saves: 3 Fouls: 11 Corner Kicks: 7 Offside: 1
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 15, 2019
- Reno Picks up Three Points on Road at Austin - Reno 1868 FC
- Austin Bold â?? 1 Reno 1868 FC â?? 2 Post-Game Notes - Reno 1868 FC
- Republic FC Come Back to Defeat RGV FC 2-1 at Home - Sacramento Republic FC
- Sacramento's Late Goal Upset Toros on the Road - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Orange County Derail El Paso Locomotive - Orange County SC
- Bethlehem Steel FC Falls to Indy Eleven 2-1 - Philadelphia Union II
- Preview: Nashville Looks to Find More Magic against Birmingham Legion on Tuesday Night - Nashville SC
- Delay Can't Stop New Mexico - New Mexico United
- Club Statement Regarding Tonight's Phoenix Rising vs. LA Galaxy II Match - Phoenix Rising FC
- Luces Hunt Down the Zorros - Las Vegas Lights FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Mexico United Stories
- 880 Screaming Fans, 450 Miles from Home, 0 Positive COVID Tests: How New Mexico United Is Leading the Way on Community Safety
- New Mexico United, Electric Playhouse Team up to Announce "Meal and a Match" Interactive Watch Parties
- New Mexico United to Host First "Home" Match of the Season in Colorado Springs
- New Mexico United Staff Member Tests Positive for COVID-19
- New Mexico United Relocates Another Home Match, Adds Local Broadcast