Red Wolves Sign Former North Texas SC Defender Devin 'DJ' Benton
CHATTANOOGA, Tn. - The Chattanooga Red Wolves are pleased to announce the signing of former North Texas SC Defender, Devin "DJ" Benton. Transaction pending league and federation approval.
The 22-year-old defender was born in Birmingham, Alabama where he played collegiately for the University of Alabama at Birmingham for two and a half years. Before his time playing college soccer, Benton spent time playing for the Atlanta United Academy in 2017, and captained his team for the Houston Dynamo Academy in 2018. Benton signed his first professional contract with North Texas SC in August of 2021.
"It means everything to me to wear the Red Wolves crest and be able to represent a city full of culture and passion for this club and the game of football too," said newly signed defender, DJ Benton. "My goal for this season is to help the team get even further than they did last season and bring a championship trophy to the city. I am super grateful for the opportunity given to me by the club and I look forward to working hard for the loyal fans that help make this organization possible."
Red Wolves Head Coach, Jimmy Obleda, witnessed Benton's performance first-hand last season. "DJ Benton is a young man that we saw quite frequently last year when we played against North Texas SC. He's a young man that I regarded highly all last season," said Obleda. "He's a versatile player that can play defensively out on the right and play centrally, it's what we're looking for in a defender. He comes from a pedigree soccer family and we are looking forward to having with us this season."
Red Wolves GM & President, Sean McDaniel, is confident Benton will be a great addition to the defense. "We've watched DJ's young career for a while now and feel very good about the trajectory he's on," said McDaniel. "He gives us versatility in the back which should give us the depth we need to succeed for such a long season."
Benton is the second confirmed new member of the 2022 squad - joining newcomer Jorge Paez and returning players Ualefi, Jimmie Villalobos, Daniel Navarro, Josue EspanÌa, Jorge Luna, Sebastian Capozucchi, Rey OrtiÌz, Rafa Mentzingen, Juan Galindrez, and JoseÌ Carrera-GarciÌa. More player announcements to follow throughout the week.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League One message board...
United Soccer League One Stories from January 14, 2022
- Red Wolves Sign Former North Texas SC Defender Devin 'DJ' Benton - Chattanooga Red Wolves SC
- Goalkeeper Rashid Nuhu Returns for Third Season with Union Omaha - Union Omaha
- Midfielder Andrew Wheeler-Omiunu Joins Forward Madison FC - Forward Madison FC
- Francie Gottsegen Named President of North Carolina Football Club - North Carolina FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chattanooga Red Wolves SC Stories
- Red Wolves Sign Left-Back Aaron Lombardi
- Red Wolves Sign Midfielder Josue Cartagena
- Pedro Hernandez Signs First Professional Contract with Red Wolves
- Chattanooga Welcomes Park City Red Wolves Defender Jonny Guadarrama
- Red Wolves Sign 2019 League One Champion Carlos Avilez