Real Monarchs Win 2019 USL Championship Title
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Real Monarchs SLC went on the road to secure a third-consecutive comeback win in the USL Championship Playoffs, topping the two-time defending champions, Louisville City FC, 3-1 to win the USL Championship title in front of a sold out crown of 7,025 at Lynn Stadium on the University of Louisville campus.
Louisville City scored early, but DF Erik Holt, DF Konrad Plewa and DF Noah Powder each scored while GK David Ochoa made six saves as the Monarchs won their second trophy - after winning the USL Regular Season Shield in 2017 - and first league championship.
Louisville came out the aggressor in the first half and was rewarded with a sixth-minute goal from Magnus Rasmussen. Trailing 1-0, the Monarchs withstood pressure through much of the remainder of the half, but sprung back for a 25th minute equalizer from Holt before Plewa staked the Monarchs to a 2-1 lead in the 45th minute. Louisville held nearly 65% of the first-half possession and outshot the Monarchs 6-5, but the Monarchs finished the half with five unanswered shots from the 25th minute on.
In the second half, the game was end to end as Louisville looked to equalize and the Monarchs worked to extend the lead. With shots firing in both directions, the Monarchs found the back of the net when Powder sent in a shot from the right side to claim the 3-1 lead in the 66th minute. Both teams had chances to add to the scoreboard over the final 24 minutes, but Ochoa came up big to keep the two-goal advantage as the Monarchs sealed victory and the USL Championship title.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
LOU: Magnus Rasmussen (Antoine Hoppenot) 6th minute - Louisville City got the ball into the box up the left side and the ball was crossed from the endline, eventually finding Magnus Rasmussen for a left-footed shot from close range to take the early 1-0 lead.
SLC: Erik Holt (Jack Blake) 25th minute - After receiving a pass from Noah Powder, Jack Blake played a ball across the edge of the 18 to Erik Holt for a first-time shot that crept past the Louisville City goalkeeper to equalize at 1-1.
SLC: Konrad Plewa (Luke Mulholland) 45th minute - After a cross was cleared to the far side, Luke Mulholland recovered and sent the ball back into the box where Konrad Plewa skied for a header and put it inside the far post to give the Monarchs the 2-1 lead.
SLC: Noah Powder (Justin Portillo) 66th minute - Justin Portillo found Noah Powder on the right wing and he cut to the middle before splitting a left-footed shot inside the far post to extend the Monarchs lead to 3-1.
- DF Konrad Plewa was named USL Championship Final MVP.
- FW Douglas Martinez was out of action for the match after being suspended following the Western Conference Championship victory over El Paso Locomotive.
- The Monarchs win in the final ended Louisville City FC's run of two-consecutive USL titles.
- The Monarchs played with seven players on loan from Real Salt Lake - GK David Ochoa, GK Andrew Putna, DF Erik Holt, MF Justin Portillo, MF Luke Mulholland, FW Tate Schmitt and FW Luis Arriaga.
Match: Real Monarchs at Louisville City FC
Date: November 17, 2019
Venue: Lynn Stadium; Louisville, Kentucky
Weather: Partly Cloudy and 45
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
Real Monarchs 2 1 3
Louisville City FC 1 0 1
LOU: Magnus Rasmussen (Antoine Hoppenot) 6'
SLC: Erik Holt (Jack Blake) 25'
SLC: Konrad Plewa (Luke Mulholland) 45'
SLC: Noah Powder (Justin Portillo) 66'
Real Monarchs (3-5-2): David Ochoa; Erik Holt, Konrad Plewa, Kalen Ryden; Noah Powder, Justin Portillo, Jack Blake, Luke Mulholland, Tate Schmitt; Kyle Coffee (James Moberg 86'), Maikel Chang (Luis Arriaga 90'+5).
Subs not used: Andrew Putna, Steve Jasso, Sam Brown, Jordan Pena, Damian German.
Louisville City FC: (4-3-3): Chris Hubbard; Sean Totsch (Paolo DelPiccolo 70'), Paco Craig, Pat McMahon (Abdou Mbacke Thiam 58', George Davis 88'), Oscar Jimenez; Devon Williams, Magnus Rasmussen, Niall McCabe; Luke Spencer, Antoine Hoppenot, Brian Ownby.
Subs not used: Tim Dobrowlski, Alexis Suoahy, Napo Matsoso, Akil Watts.
Stats Summary: SLC / LOU
Shots: 11 / 22
Shots on Goal: 6 / 7
Saves: 6 / 3
Corner Kicks: 6 / 7
Fouls: 8 / 9
Offside: 1 / 0
SLC: Tate Schmitt (Caution) 59'
SLC: Erik Holt (Caution) 69'
LOU: Devon Williams (Caution) 89'
Referee: Tim Ford
Assistant Referees: Jeremy Kieso, Cory Richardson
4th Official: Malik Badawi
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from November 17, 2019
- Real Monarchs Win 2019 USL Championship Title - Real Monarchs SLC
- Louisville City FC, Real Monarchs SLC Meet in 2019 USL Championship Final - USL
- Game Day: LouCity Takes on Real Monarchs in the Final Tonight - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Monarchs SLC Stories
- Real Monarchs Announced 2020 Team Awards
- Real Monarchs Falls 4-0 to Locomotive FC in Final Match of 2020
- Real Monarchs Fall 1-0 to New Mexico United in Penultimate Match of 2020
- Real Monarchs Draws 1-1 with Colorado Springs
- Real Monarchs Visit Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC