Rascals Drop Heartbreaker Finale
SCHAUMBURG, Ill. -- The River City Rascals dropped their series finale to the Schaumburg Boomers by a score of 4-3 in a back-and-forth game on Thursday afternoon. The Rascals loss gave the Boomers a 3-1 series victory. Dylan Jones delivered the walk-off hit for Schaumburg in the ninth inning.
Both teams scored in the first inning, as Trevor Achenbach homered for the Rascals and Quincy Nieporte hit an RBI single for Schaumburg in the bottom of the frame. The Boomers took a 2-1 lead in the fourth on an RBI single from Jimmy Galusky before the Rascals tied the game on an RBI single from LJ Kalawaia in the fifth. The Rascals took a 3-2 lead in the sixth on a squeeze bunt from Zach Lavy, scoring Braxton Martinez from third base.
Trailing 3-2, the Boomers put a pair of runners on base with two outs in the bottom of the eighth. Matt Rose hit a fly ball to center that Kalawaia lost in the sun, allowing the ball to drop in and bring the tying run home. Chase Dawson led-off the bottom of the ninth with a single, was bunted to second, and scored the winning run on a double down the line to right from Jones.
Rascals starter Brendan Feldmann allowed just two earned runs over 7 2/3 innings with seven strikeouts in a no-decision. Reliever Taylor Purus (1-2) suffered the loss.
Boomers starter Connor Reed allowed three runs over six innings, also taking a no-decision. Dylan Stutsman (5-1) earned the win out of the Boomers bullpen.
The Rascals (38-32) head to Avon, Ohio for a three-game weekend set against the Lake Erie Crushers at Sprenger Stadium. First pitch for tomorrow's series opener is set for 6:05 p.m. CDT. Travis McQueen is expected to take the mound in the opener.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 1, 2019
- Freedom Fall in Finale with Gateway - Florence Y'alls
- Miners Blast Past Slammers to Take Series - Southern Illinois Miners
- ThunderBolts Come up Short in Finale with Washington - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Crushers win series with a walk off single - Lake Erie Crushers
- Buhner Leads Grizz Bats, Bullpen to Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Strecker Notches 50th Career Save, Austin Spins 5th QS in Victory - Washington Wild Things
- Benjamin Dum Signed by Twins - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Drop Heartbreaker Finale - River City Rascals
- Boomers Walk-Off to Series Win - Schaumburg Boomers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.