Benjamin Dum Signed by Twins
Marion, IL - The Southern Illinois Miners announce that relief pitcher Benjamin Dum has been signed by the Minnesota Twins, making him the third MLB signing of the season after Nick Duron and Bryant Flete and 58th former Miner to join a major league organization.
With Southern Illinois, the right-hander appeared in 19 games, with a 1-0 record, two saves and a 2.75 ERA, allowing just 13 hits and two walks in 19 2/3 innings while striking out 24. Opponents batted just .183 off of the Elliottsburg, Pennsylvania native, who did not allow a single run in his last ten appearances, including a scoreless inning last night against Joliet in which he struck out the side in order.
Dum joined the Miners after a standout, four-year career at Virginia Commonwealth University, where he posted a 5-7 record and a 2.18 ERA in 21 games along with 63 strikeouts and 15 walks in 70 1/3 innings as a senior to take home Second Team All-Conference honors in the A-10.
The Miners return to action tonight at home against the Joliet Slammers at 6:35 p.m. Ryan McAuliffe pitches for the Miners against the Slammers' Daren Osby in the rubber game of the three-game series at Rent One Park.
The Southern Illinois Miners are the Frontier League's most-successful franchise since debuting in 2007, winning the 2012 Frontier League Championship as well as division titles in 2010, 2014, 2015 and 2016. They have been awarded the Frontier League Organization of the Year award three times since their inception, and also set a new Frontier League attendance record in their inaugural season. For ticket information, contact the box office at (618) 998-8499. For additional information, visit our website at www.southernillinoisminers.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 1, 2019
- Freedom Fall in Finale with Gateway - Florence Y'alls
- Miners Blast Past Slammers to Take Series - Southern Illinois Miners
- ThunderBolts Come up Short in Finale with Washington - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Crushers win series with a walk off single - Lake Erie Crushers
- Buhner Leads Grizz Bats, Bullpen to Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Strecker Notches 50th Career Save, Austin Spins 5th QS in Victory - Washington Wild Things
- Benjamin Dum Signed by Twins - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Drop Heartbreaker Finale - River City Rascals
- Boomers Walk-Off to Series Win - Schaumburg Boomers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Southern Illinois Miners Stories
- Miners Suspend 2020 Season
- Kyle Davis Comes Back to Miners
- Miners Sign Former MLB Pitcher Alejandro ChacÃÂn
- Passing the Game on Distribution Day February 29
- 2020 Frontier League Tryout Camp & Draft