Raptors Academy Sees Three Players Named to USA Rugby All-Americans
GLENDALE, Colo. - On May 25, 2018, USA Rugby Men's Junior All-American (U20s) Head Coach Scott Bracken and his staff announced a 26 man roster that includes three players from the Glendale Raptors Rugby Academy: Max Dacey, Ryan James and Alec Leddy - the most players represented from one team on the squad of players named.
The All Americans will compete in a two-game World Rugby Trophy qualification series against the Canada U20s on June 12 and 16th in Houston, Texas.
Friday, June 8th, the USA team played a friendly match agains the Austin Elite Rugby U23 squad walking away with a 0-77 win. (Watch the replay here)
The USA Rugby website shared the following information about the series:
Serving as the 11th installment, the 2018 World Rugby Trophy will bring together eight national under-20 aged programs in Romania for more than two weeks of international competition beginning August 24th and ending September 10th. With seven teams qualified and only one North American spot remaining, the United States will face a challenge against the Canadians to reverse their cumulative score from 2017 and make an appearance at the tournament for the first time since 2016.
With the qualification series taking place in the same area and during the same week as the Senior U.S. Men's National Team's match against No. 5 World Ranked Scotland at BBVA Compass Stadium (June 16th), the Men's Junior All-Americans will have a unique opportunity to train alongside the Men's Eagles. Close proximity and a first-hand look at the preparation of the Men's National Team gives that much more incentive for aspiring age-grade athletes to continue on the pathway to earning an Eagle jersey.
"With both the Junior All Americans and the Eagles' senior team assembled in the same location, we are looking forward to the interaction between the two squads and the staff of the respective programs," said Dave Hodges, General Manager of Men's 15s National Teams. "We are confident the men in the senior team will do a good job of setting the example of what it means to be an Eagle as they look forward to integrating the next group of National Team players, a number of whom will come from this Junior All-American squad."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Rugby message board...
Major League Rugby Stories from June 11, 2018
- Major League Rugby Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Glendale Raptors
- Major League Rugby Announces Championship Series Information - MLR
- Raptors Academy Sees Three Players Named to USA Rugby All-Americans - Glendale Raptors
- Glendale Raptors to Host Season's Penultimate Game - Glendale Raptors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Glendale Raptors Stories
- World Rugby Combine Expanded to Boost High Performance Player Development in the Americas
- Raptors Travel to Canada
- Glendale Rugby Hosts Crossover Rugby Camp
- The 2018 RugbyTown 7s Tournament Sees British Army Crowned Champions in Thrilling Win over Tiger Rugby
- Day Two of RugbyTown 7s Tournament Sees More Action, Championship Qualifying