Rapids Sign Danny Earls and Josh Janniere
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. (Wednesday, March 30, 2011) - The Colorado Rapids announced today that the club has signed defender Danny Earls and midfielder Josh Janniere. Per club and league policies, financial terms of the transactions were not disclosed.
Earls was a part of the Rapids' championship squad in 2010, playing 18 games at left back. He was traded to the Seattle Sounders FC at the end of the season and was released by the Sounders last month. Previously, Earls spent two seasons with the USL-1 Rochester Rhinos. He gained significant experience while playing with English Premier League side Aston Villa's Reserve squad from 2005-2008. Earls has also been capped as a member of the Republic of Ireland's U15, U16, U18 and U19 National Teams.
The Rapids acquired the rights to Janniere from Toronto FC in exchange for a 2013 3rd round natural Supplemental Draft pick. Janniere joined the Toronto FC Youth Academy when he was 15 after playing for the Ontario Provincial Team. He played three seasons with the Senior Youth Academy side, traveled with the TFC first team during the 2010 preseason and spent the 2011 preseason with the Rapids.
Earls, the 21-year-old from Dublin, Ireland, and Janniere, an 18-year-old from Toronto, Canada, become the fourth and fifth international players on the team's roster, leaving two international slots remaining.
Colorado continues their regular season this weekend as they face D.C. United at Dick's Sporting Goods Park on Sunday, April 3 at 5 p.m. MT. Season tickets are available by calling the Rapids at (303) 825-GOAL or online at www.ColoradoRapids.com .
Danny Earls - Defender
Born: April 22, 1989 in Wicklow, Ireland
Hometown: Dublin, Ireland
College: --- Last Club: Seattle Sounders FC
Roster Status: International
Josh Janniere - Midfielder
Born: November 4, 1992 in Hamilton, Ontario
Hometown: Toronto, Canada
College: --- Last Club: Toronto FC Senior Youth Academy
Roster Status: International
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 30, 2011
- Andrew Weber Visits Hoover Middle School in San Jose as Part of Amway Kicks for Kids Program - San Jose Earthquakes
- Whitecaps FC Announce Single Match Tickets on Sale for April 16 & 23 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Whitecaps FC Women Sign Marton, McNulty, and Patterson - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Ledo Pizza Returns to RFK for 2011 D.C. United Season - D.C. United
- D.C. United Academy Finishes 3-3-2 in Weekend Action - D.C. United
- Rapids Sign Danny Earls and Josh Janniere - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Women Join USL W-League - D.C. United
- Union Name Peter Nowak Executive Vice President of Soccer Operations/Team Manager - Philadelphia Union
- Late Goals Give Timbers Win Over 10-Man Red-And-White - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Late Goals Lift Timbers to 2-0 Win Over Chivas USA - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Colorado Rapids Announce Switchbacks FC as New USL Affiliate
- Colorado Rapids Conclude Four-Year Affiliation with Charlotte Independence
- Statement from Colorado Rapids Owner E. Stanley Kroenke on the Passing of Paul Allen
- Colorado Rapids Recall Five Players from USL Loan
- Colorado Rapids Recall Goalkeeper Andrew Dykstra from Charlotte Independence