Rampage, Blast Battle For Sole Possession Of 1st
ROCKFORD, Ill. -- The Rockford Rampage close out the 2009 portion of their 2009-2010 Major Indoor Soccer League season with a key matchup against the defending champion Baltimore Blast at 5:05 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 27, at the MetroCentre.
Rockford and Baltimore are atop the MISL standings with 3-1 records as each side hopes to garner sole possession of first place. The Rampage had the upper hand during their season opener, a 10-8 overtime victory against host Baltimore on Nov. 13.
This Sunday's event includes the opportunity to meet Rockford's Major League Soccer stars before the match. They are former Tampa Bay Mutiny defender R.T. Moore (played for Boylan High School), D.C. United defender Bryan Namoff (Boylan High School), FC Dallas forward Peri Marosevic (Guilford High School) and San Jose Earthquakes midfielder Brad Ring (Guilford High School).
Rockford is coming off a strong defensive effort en route to a 9-4 victory against visiting La RaZa de Monterrey, and the Blast recently edged the visiting Philadelphia KiXX, 9-8. The Rampage have allowed only 20 total points in their three victories this season, an average of less than 7 points per game.
Prior to the 2009-2010 MISL season, the Blast established a strong performance against the Rampage, winning three of last season's four head-to-head regular-season matchups. In those three wins, the Blast defense held the Rampage to four points or less in each game.
But Rockford turned the tide to open this season on the road in Baltimore. Rampage captain and midfielder Matthew Stewart scored a goal and assisted Chris Brisson's game-winner in overtime, spoiling the Blast's celebration of their 2008-2009 NISL Championship.
With a win Sunday night, the Rampage have a chance to tie the head-to-head regular-season series at 3-all.
The Rampage are 2-1 at the MetroCentre this season, with their lone loss coming against the Philadelphia KiXX, 20-6, on Dec. 4. The Blast are 1-0 on the road this season, with their victory coming against host La RaZa de Monterrey, 14-13, on Dec. 13.
- Familiar foe: Rampage defender Ibrahim Kante, who had missed the past two matches because of a hamstring injury, began his MISL career with the Blast in 2003-2004. He also played for Baltimore during the 2005-2006 season.... Rockford head coach Jeff Kraft is a Baltimore native as he led the Rampage to the 2008-2009 National Indoor Soccer League Championship against his hometown Blast.
- New points leader: Rockford midfielder Semir Mesanovic took over the team lead with eight points following his two-goal, one-assist effort last Sunday during the Rampage's 9-4 victory over visiting La RaZa de Monterrey.
- Millwood named MISL POW: The Blast's Machel Millwood was awarded MISL Player of the Week on Monday. Millwood scored three goals during Baltimore's 9-8 victory over the Philadelphia KiXX last weekend. He leads the league with 15 points (five goals, five assists).
The Rockford Rampage are members of the Major Indoor Soccer League and play their home games at the MetroCentre. Rampage tickets for the 2009-2010 MISL season are on sale. Log on to www.RockfordRampage.com or call the Rampage at (779) 423-1082. Individual game tickets are available at www.MetroCentre.com or by calling (815) 968-5222.
• Discuss this story on the Major Indoor Soccer League message board...
Major Indoor Soccer League Stories from December 26, 2009
- Rampage, Blast Battle For Sole Possession Of 1st - Rockford Rampage
- Wave Game Preview - Milwaukee Wave
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.