Rainmen Lose to Summerside
For the second straight game the Summerside Storm came into Halifax and left with a win.
Brandon Robinson was much more effective in his second game against his former team as he finished with a game-high 28 points as the Storm won 103 - 92.
Former Rainmen Tyrone Levett - acquired from Moncton this week - entered the game midway through the first quarter to a loud ovation and finished with 11 points and four rebounds.
Halifax jumped out to a quick 21 - 14 lead powered by eight first quarter rebounds by point guard Josiah Turner. Halifax got many quality looks in the first quarter shooting 46% but allowed too many easy baskets keeping Summerside in the game early.
Halifax struggled against the zone in the second quarter getting out scored 28 - 14 as they only managed one field goal in the first seven minutes. Brandon Robinson scored 16 points in the quarter on 8/15 shooting as Summerside took a eight point lead into half.
Powered by Quincy Okolie's hustle, the Rainmen regained the lead on a left-handed slam with 4:47 remaining in the quarter. Coach Spon encouraged the team to push the ball quickly up the floor to try and break down the zone.
Halifax finished the quarter with three consecutive turnovers - 26 in the game - and trailed 77 - 67 going into the final quarter.
Down by eight midway through the fourth quarter, the Rainmen missed six of seven free throws and eliminated any hope of a comeback.
Joey Haywood finished with 18 points, five rebounds followed by Antoine Tisby's 16 points seven rebounds and Quinnel Brown and Eric Frederick each with 15 points
Summerside was led by Brandon Robinson's 28 points (9/21 FG) and seven rebounds. Greg Plummer pitched in 15 points and Antonio Ballard had 13 points and nine rebounds.
Summerside scored 25 points off turnovers and have one four of their last five games. Halifax is heading in the opposite direction losing their last three games - two against Summerside.
Halifax is on the road for the next three games against division rivals Moncton, Summerside and Saint John.
• Discuss this story on the National Basketball League of Canada message board...
National Basketball League of Canada Stories from December 22, 2012
- Durham's Team Push Win Streak to Four with 107-95 Victory over Windsor Express - Mississauga Power
- Windsor loses to Power - Windsor Express
- Blazing Third Quarter Propels Mill Rats - Saint John Riptide
- Miracles Fall Hard to the Mill Rats - Moncton Miracles
- Rainmen Lose to Summerside - Halifax Rainmen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Halifax Rainmen Stories
- Players, Fans and Supporters Cheated out of Championship
- Rainmen Owner to Offer Comment and Clarification
- Tonight's Championship Game Canceled
- Rainmen Viewing Party for the Championship Game at Bubba Ray's Sports Bar
- Halifax Drops Game Six After Stunning Second Half Collapse