Rainmen Lose to Millrats on Buzzer Beater
On Thursday the Rainmen travelled to Saint John to take on the Mill Rats. It was a game of runs, as the Rainmen got off to a 21-9 start, thanks to Joey Haywood's eight points, but the Mill Rats responded with a 18-2 run of their own and led 27-23 midway through the 2nd. The Rainmen were able to go on a 15-2 run to end the half leading 47-33, led by Josiah Turner with 12 and Joey Haywood with 10.
The Mill Rats won the 3rd quarter 30-20 but the Rainmen still led 67-63 going into the fourth. The Mill Rats began the fourth quarter on a 25-13 run to take a 82-76 lead with 7 minutes to play. With under two minutes to go, new Rainmen forward Eric Frederick's had lay-ups on two straight possessions to cut the Mill Rats lead to 93-91 with just over a minute to play. The Rainmen forced the Mill Rats to commit a five-second inbounding violation and Frederick hit another layup to tie it at 93. Jerice Crouch hit two free-throws and then Brant Bailey hit a three to make it 96-95 with 20 seconds to play. Bailey hit a free-throw to extend lead to 97-95 with only 3.6 seconds left. Trailing by 2 with 3.6 seconds to play, the Mill Rats inbounded to Antonio Burks, who shot a turn-around 3 pointer which took a friendly bounce and gave the Mill Rats a buzzer-beating win, 98-97.
The Rainmen were led by another all-around effort, as they had six players score in double-figures, led by Josiah Turner with 19 points and 8 rebounds, Brant Bailey with 16 points and 10 rebounds, Antoine Tisby with 16 points and 6 rebounds, Quinnel Brown with 15 points and 11 rebounds, Eric Frederick with 15 points and Joey Haywood finished with 12 points.
The Mill Rats were led by Jerice Crouch with a game high 32 points, Anthony Anderson with 25 points, 6 rebounds and 5 assists and Cavell Johnson finished with 11 points and 10 rebounds. Antonio Burk's buzzer-beating 3 was his only basket of the game.
The Mill Rats improve to 5-7, while the Rainmen fall to 7-6. The Rainmen play against the Summerside Storm this Sunday December 16 at 2PM at the Halifax Metro Centre.
• Discuss this story on the National Basketball League of Canada message board...
National Basketball League of Canada Stories from December 13, 2012
- Power Bounces Back from Heart Breaking Loss with 127-99 Win over Montreal - Mississauga Power
- Miracles Get Struck Down by Lightning - Moncton Miracles
- Burks' Buzzer Beater Lifts Mill Rats - Saint John Riptide
- Rainmen Lose to Millrats on Buzzer Beater - Halifax Rainmen
- Mill Rats Host Halifax Rainmen Tonight - Saint John Riptide
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Halifax Rainmen Stories
- Players, Fans and Supporters Cheated out of Championship
- Rainmen Owner to Offer Comment and Clarification
- Tonight's Championship Game Canceled
- Rainmen Viewing Party for the Championship Game at Bubba Ray's Sports Bar
- Halifax Drops Game Six After Stunning Second Half Collapse