Rainiers Edge Portland in Series Opener
PORTLAND, Ore. - Chris Seddon struck out seven and Michael Saunders reached base four times as the Tacoma Rainiers defeated the Portland Beavers 3-2 in the opener of a four-game series at PGE Park Monday night.
Saunders had a single, three walks and two stolen bases, and Chris Woodward was 2-for-4 with an RBI double for the Rainiers (10-12), who have defeated Portland 10 straight times dating back to the 2009 season.
Seddon (2-0) limited the Beavers (10-14) to two runs on three hits and four walks in his five innings of work. Former Beaver Brian Sweeney worked two scoreless frames and Shawn Kelley worked the final two innings for his first save of the season as Portland was held to four hits on the night.
Christian Colonel had two hits and Dusty Ryan hit his third home run for the Beavers, who have lost seven of their last eight games.
The teams swapped runs in the early going, with Ryan's solo blast giving the Beavers a short-lived lead in the second and Tacoma's Tommy Everidge evening the score when his sac fly to right plated Saunders from third in the top of the third.
Tacoma took the lead in the fourth when Ramon Vazquez legged out a leadoff triple and scored on Woodward's RBI double down the left field line. Woodward later scored from third on a force out to make 3-1 in favor of the Rainiers.
Colonel, making his PGE Park debut after joining the Beavers on the recent road trip, cut Portland's deficit to a run with a two-out RBI single in the bottom of the fourth.
Cesar Carrillo (1-2) suffered his second straight loss, allowing three runs (2 earned), five hits and three walks across five innings.
The Beavers and Rainiers meet again Tuesday night at 7:05 p.m.
NOTES: The Rainiers roster currently features four former Beavers, including Sweeney, catchers Josh Bard and Eliezer Alfonzo, and Vazquez. Sweeney was with Portland for parts of three seasons, 2004-06 ... reliever Ernesto Frieri struck out four in two innings of work for Portland. In all, Beavers pitchers combined for 10 strikeouts, while Rainiers pitchers tallied 12 on the night ... Seddon is 3-0 in three career starts against Portland.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 3, 2010
- Rainiers Edge Portland in Series Opener - Portland Beavers
- Aces Rally for 8-7 Victory over Las Vegas - Reno Aces
- Astros Make Roster Moves - Round Rock Express
- Fresno Inferno Engulfs Sky Sox, 14-4 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Express Snap Nashville Streak, 8-3 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Lose to Express, 8-3 - Nashville Sounds
- Zephyrs Fall in Opener to Cubs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Ottavino Pitches 'Birds past 'Topes - Memphis Redbirds
- Mother's Day 2010 is Pink Day at Cheney Stadium - Tacoma Rainiers
- Collmenter Named PCL Pitcher Of The Week - Reno Aces
- Boggs, Collmenter Take Advantage Of Opportunities, Win Weekly Honors - PCL
- 2nd Season Of Silver State Diamond Challenge Begins Tonight In Reno - Las Vegas Aviators
- 'Topes Back In Action At Home With Four-Game Set This Weekend - Albuquerque Isotopes
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Gordon, Aviles, Johnson, Humber Among Today's Moves - Omaha Storm Chasers
- .38 Special In Concert Friday, July 23 - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss