Railcats finish season as second half co-champions of the Northern League
Gary, Ind. Cody Fisher and two relievers combined on a four-hit shutout as the Gary SouthShore RailCats defeated the Joliet JackHammers 2-0 on Sunday at U. S. Steel Yard. With the win, the RailCats finished as Second Half co-champions of the Northern League Southern Division along with the St. Paul Saints. Gary will begin the Divisional Playoff Series at St. Paul on Tuesday.
The RailCats also closed out the regular season by setting a franchise attendance record. Their 2005 attendance total of 151,852 is a RailCats all-time high and their average attendance of 3,231 showed an increase for the second straight season, also establishing a franchise record.
Fisher (2-3) went the first seven innings and allowed just three hits with two walks and a strikeout. Randy Vanderplow and Travis Kerber each tossed a scoreless inning for the RailCats.
Gary scored the only runs of the game in the bottom of the seventh inning. Fehlandt Lentini singled to right to start the rally and went to second on an infield single by John Schmitz. Steve Haake's fly out to center advanced Lentini to third, and Jose Yepez doubled down the left field line to drive in Lentini as Schmitz went to third. Tanner Townsend added a sacrifice fly to make it a 2-0 game.
The win not only gave the RailCats a share of the divisional championship, but also earned them home field advantage in the playoff series with St. Paul. Gary will host game three of the series on Friday and games four and five (if necessary) Saturday and Sunday.
The RailCats will give the baseball to Willie Glen (9-3, 2.83) in the playoff opener Tuesday at St. Paul. Hank Woodman (5-4, 4.82) will start for the Saints in a 7:05 PM game.
Tickets to all home playoff games for the RailCats can be purchased by calling (219) 882-BALL (2255) beginning Tuesday at 10:00 AM.
• Discuss this story on the Northern League message board...
Northern League Stories from September 4, 2005
- Two in eighth put T-Bones away for winter, 6-5 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Flyers rally, come up short in finale - Schaumburg Flyers
- Saltdogs finish the 2005 regular season with a 5-4 loss to the Explorers - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Railcats finish season as second half co-champions of the Northern League - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Fisher shuts out Joliet again with some help, 2-0 - Joliet JackHammers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- RailCats' Lyter Promoted, Flenner Named New General Manager
- RailCats Acquire OF Price Jr., RHP Pastora
- RailCats Season Ends with 1-0 Shutout in Game 4 of North Division Series
- Magical McKenzie Blanks Saints to Force Game 4 of North Division Series
- Saints 5-Run Fourth Sinks RailCats in Game 2 of North Division Series