Quick Strikes Sink Pats on the Road
Regina, Saskatchewan - The Regina Pats dropped a 6-2 road decision to the Saskatoon Blades on Friday night.
The Blades struck twice in the span of 18 seconds to take the lead nine minutes into the game. First Max Gerlach and then Ryan Hughes and it was 2-0 Saskatoon after one. The Blades extended the lead to three, four minutes into the second, Kirby Dach with the goal and it was 3-0. The Pats responded in the final six minutes of the period. Cole Dubinsky tipped home a point shot for his second of the year to get the Pats on the board. Then, with just over two minutes left in the period, Austin Pratt stole a puck in the offensive zone and scored from an almost impossible angle for his 17th and the Pats were down just 3-2 after 40 minutes. In the third, Saskatoon scored on the powerplay early to lead 4-2. They added another at the eight-minute mark and one with less than a minute left to take the two points in a 6-2 final.
The Pats were outshot 34-17, the powerplay was oh for five, the penalty kill five for six and Dean McNabb made 28 saves.
The Pats (12-32-1-1) will host a rematch with the Blades on Saturday at the Brandt Centre at 7 p.m.
Saskatoon - Max Gerlach (27) from Dawson Davidson and Gary Haden - 9:31.
Saskatoon - Ryan Hughes (19) from Kirby Dach and Dawson Davidson - 9:49.
Saskatoon - Kirby Dach (18) from Emil Malysjev and Dawson Davidson - 4:29.
Regina - Cole Dubinsky (2) from Riley Krane - 14:08.
Regina - Austin Pratt (17) unassisted - 17:56.
Saskatoon - Riley McKay (8) from Brandon Schuldhaus and Emil Malysjev - 1:16 PP.
Saskatoon - Chase Wouters (9) from Brandon Schuldhaus and Eric Florchuk - 7:41.
Saskatoon - Cyle McNabb (2) from Tristen Robins - 19:08.
Shots on Goal
Regina 6-7-4-(17) Saskatoon 10-15-9-(34)
Regina 0/5 Saskatoon 1/6
- Riley Krane extended his point streak to four games, has one goal and three assists in that stretch.
- Austin Pratt set a new career high with his 17th goal of the season.
- The Pats are now 1-1-1-0 against the Blades this season.
The Pats will host a rematch with the Blades on Saturday at the Brandt Centre at 7 p.m. Tickets are available at reginapats.com, the Brandt Centre Box Office and at any Regina Safeway, where Fun Zone tickets are $13 plus tax.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 18, 2019
- Tigers Take It 3-1 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Quick Strikes Sink Pats on the Road - Regina Pats
- Game Preview: Blades Open Home & Home with Pats - Saskatoon Blades
- Game 45 vs Swift Current - Medicine Hat Tigers
- ICE Look to Collect Third Consecutive Win, Visit Wheat Kings - Kootenay Ice
- Game Day Preview: Pats Kick off Home and Home with Blades Friday in Saskatoon - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Regina Pats Stories
- Pats Sedov Makes Team Russia for Under-18 World Championships
- Paddock and Sedov Make NHL Central Scouting Final Rankings for 2019 Draft
- Pats Dave Struch Named to Team Canada U18 Coaching Staff
- Pats Acquire Draft Picks in Trade with Winnipeg
- Pats Close Regular Season with Shootout Loss