Preview: Orlando City Face Montreal Impact in Round of 16 Matchup
ORLANDO, Fla. - Orlando City SC (2-1-2, 8 points / 2-0-1, 7 points) will begin play in the MLS is Back Tournament Knockout Stage presented by Audi on Saturday, July 25 with a matchup against the Montreal Impact (2-2-1, 7 points / 1-2-0, 3 points) in the Round of 16. Kickoff is set for 8 p.m. ET at ESPN Wide World of Sports.
The match will be nationally televised on ESPN2 and ESPN Deportes, while being transmitted on 96.9 The Game in English and AcciÃ³n 97.9FM, 810AM in Spanish. For a match preview, fans can tune into the Orlando City Roundtable presented by Heineken ahead of Saturday's match, streaming on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and the LionNation App at 7 p.m. ET.
"Montreal is a team who has a lot of variety in their models. We understand their game as a team who likes to hold and create sequences with the ball. I think it's going to be a battle in terms of who wants it. We want the ball and our players have been training to do that," Head Coach Oscar Pareja said ahead of Saturday's match. "We played against NYCFC with the same idea to try to have the ball from the beginning of the game. We don't want to go chase it, we want the opponent to work to do that and Montreal plays with the same idea. I think it's going to be a beautiful game. It's a team who has an idea of possession too and we're going to fight for the ball for sure."
The Lions clinched the top spot in Group A on Monday night by earning a 1-1 draw against the Philadelphia Union. Ilsinho opened the scoring in the 68th minute, but City answered just two minutes later off the head of Mauricio Pereyra, the first finish for the Uruguayan since joining the Club in 2019.
Chris Mueller leads the Lions with four finishes in 2020, three of those coming at the MLS is Back Tournament, while Nani leads the team in assists with two to his credit.
Montreal earned a spot in the knockouts by defeating D.C. United on Tuesday night in Group C play. Saphir TaÃ¯der scored the eventual game-winner in the 31st minute, his strike taking a deflection straight into the back of the net for the finish. The Impact finished third in Group C behind Toronto FC and the New England Revolution.
TaÃ¯der sits tied for the team lead for the Impact with three goals in 2020, all of which have come since the restart of play following the suspension of the season. Maximiliano Urruti has netted three goals this year as well, all coming before the March 12 suspension.
The winner of Saturday's match will advance to the Quarterfinals to face the winner of Seattle vs. LAFC (July 27, 11 p.m. ET) on Friday, July 31 at 7:30 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 24, 2020
- By the Numbers: the Round of 16 - Orlando City SC
- "It's Going to be a Battle": Lions Prepare for Round of 16 Fixture - Orlando City SC
- Preview: Sporting to Battle Vancouver in Round of 16 on Sunday - Sporting Kansas City
- Atlanta United, Frank de Boer Mutually Agree to Part Ways - Atlanta United FC
- Chicago Fire FC Midfielder Luka Stojanovic Undergoes Successful McL Repair - Chicago Fire
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Philadelphia Union - New England Revolution
- QuestTEXAS Ch.55 to Air All Locally-Televised Dynamo Matches in 2020 Season - Houston Dynamo
- Orlando City Face Montreal Impact in Round of 16 Matchup - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire FC Loans Chris Brady, Alex Monis and Allan Rodriguez to Forward Madison FC - Chicago Fire
- Preview: Orlando City Face Montreal Impact in Round of 16 Matchup - Orlando City SC
- Timbers Secure Top Spot in Group F of MLS Is Back Tournament with 2-2 Draw against Los Angeles FC - Portland Timbers
- 16 Clubs Advance to MLS Is Back Tournament Knockout Stage Presented by Audi - MLS
- Sounders FC to Face Los Angeles FC in Knockout Stage of MLS Is Back Tournament - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- A Historic Night, Lions Clinch First Playoff Berth in Club History
- Lions Clinch First Playoff Berth in Club History with 1-1 Draw at New York Red Bulls
- Know Your Opponent: New York Red Bulls
- Storylines: City vs. Red Bulls
- Orlando City Travels to Face New York Red Bulls on Sunday