Preview: Nashville SC Faces Saint Louis FC to Kick off Final Stretch of the Season
NASHVILLE - With two consecutive 2-1 wins in hand, Nashville Soccer Club begins a crucial September stretch with a road match against Saint Louis FC. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. It will be the second and final meeting between the two sides after Nashville lost 1-0 to Saint Louis all the way back in the second week of the season on March 16.
How to Follow
Local Television: MyTV30 with John Freeman and Wes Boling
Digital Stream: ESPN+
Social Media: @NashvilleSC on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook
Last Time Out
Last weekend, Nashville SC went to Florida to take on the Tampa Bay Rowdies and came away with a strong 2-1 victory. The Boys in Gold opened the scoring just before halftime with a rebound goal by Lebo Moloto off of a Cameron Lancaster free kick. Tampa Bay came out of halftime flying and found an equalizer just a few minutes into the second half. After Nashville SC made some substitutions, the road side found a winner on a beautiful half-volley by substitute Kharlton Belmar. The victory allowed Nashville SC to leapfrog Tampa Bay into second place in the Eastern Conference.
Scouting Saint Louis FC
Saint Louis FC is currently sitting in 10th place in the Eastern Conference, just one point ahead of 11th-place Charleston Battery. The club started the season as one of the hottest teams in the USL Championship with five wins, one loss and one draw in its first seven matches. However, in the club's next 15 league matches, Saint Louis FC won just once, lost eight times and drew six times. During that stretch, the club was also making a deep run in the 2019 U.S. Open Cup, reaching the quarterfinals after upsetting MLS' Chicago Fire and FC Cincinnati.
In the last week or so, Saint Louis has shown signs of a resurgence, winning in its last two matches at home. The team's leading scorer is Kyle Greig, who has seven goals on the season, including a pair in last weekend's 3-2 win over Hartford Athletic.
Storylines to Watch
End of the Ride - Saturday's match will be Nashville SC's penultimate road match of the season with just a trip to Loudoun United FC remaining on September 28. The road has been kind to Nashville SC this season, going 9-3-3 away from home. For comparison, the club was 4-6-7 away from home in the 2018 season. Saturday's match will be a tough test for Nashville SC's road form, as Saint Louis FC is a strong side at home with a 6-1-5 record.
Top of the Table Woes - This season, Saint Louis FC has struggled against the top teams in the Eastern Conference. The club's only wins over teams currently in the top five in the conference came in the first two matches of the season in a home win over Indy Eleven and a road win in Nashville. Meanwhile, Nashville SC has earned at least a draw in all but two matches against teams currently 10th or below in the standings.
Spreading the Scoring - In the last four matches, Nashville SC has scored a total of nine goals. Those goals have come from six different goal scorers, and just two of those players have scored more than once. Despite missing Daniel Ríos for the last two matches due to injury, Nashville has still managed to score multiple goals in each match and find goals from multiple scorers.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 5, 2019
- Match Preview vs. El Paso Locomotive - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Tacoma Defiance Forward Alec Diaz Called into Puerto Rican National Team - Tacoma Defiance
- Reno 1868 FC Set to Host Second-Place Fresno FC - Reno 1868 FC
- Austin Bold Hosts First Responders Night 9/11 - Austin Bold FC
- North Carolina FC Returns Home to Host Bethlehem Steel FC on Saturday - North Carolina FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC vs. Louisville City FC - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Three Things: Rowdies 1 - 2 Nashville - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Championship Look Ahead - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Preview: Nashville SC Faces Saint Louis FC to Kick off Final Stretch of the Season - Nashville SC
- Independence, Independence SC Partners with Accuvision Eye Care - Charlotte Independence
- Chavany Willis Receives International Call-Up - Philadelphia Union II
- LouCity Preps for Pittsburgh Riverhounds - Louisville City FC
- Roughnecks Tie in El Paso 2-2 - FC Tulsa
- El Paso Locomotive FC Overcome Two-Goal Deficit to Split the Points at Home - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Lights Suffer Heartbreaking Draw in Utah - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Splits 2-2 Draw with Las Vegas Lights FC - Real Monarchs SLC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Randall Leal Called up to Costa Rica National Team for November CONCACAF Nations League Matches
- Doolsta Excited to Compete in First International FIFA 20 Competition of the Season
- Pickens, Tribbett, Davis Named to USL Championship All-Opta First Team
- Samuel Abraham Crowned Champion of Tennessee EA Sports FIFA 20 Challenge
- Nashville SC to Auction 2019 Branded Stadium Signage with All Proceeds Going to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital