Phoenix Rising Rolls in 3-0 Shutout Win over Rival Orange County
PHOENIX - Phoenix Rising FC continued its dominant form with a 3-0 clean sheet win over rival Orange County SC in front of a sellout crowd of 6,562 at Casino Arizona Field. The win also sends Rising to the top of the Western Conference table for the first time in 2019.
Rising FC got on the board early when defender Mustapha Dumbuya's dangerous cross into the box was redirected into the net by Orange County defender Kevin Alston to make it 1-0. But Phoenix Rising fans didn't have to wait long for the club to score a goal without some help.
In the 17th minute, forward Solomon Asante drove down the right side of the box, in between several Orange County defenders. He slipped the ball between them all toward the center of the box for forward Adam Jahn, who flicked the ball behind himself toward an on-rushing Joey Calistri, The first-year RIsing player took a shot with his first touch and beat the goalkeeper to double the team's lead, 2-0. It was his first goal as a Phoenix Rising player.
Asante put the exclamation point on the night, figuratively and literally, with the final goal of the night. After an Orange County player failed to clear the ball away, it took a large hop before falling right to Asante. Without allowing the ball to hit the ground, Asante struck it with his right foot from over 30 yards away and found the back of the net for the night's final goal.
Phoenix Rising has a short turnaround for its next match as it travels to Reno on Tuesday, June 18, for a showdown with Reno 1868 FC. The match is scheduled to kickoff at 7:30 p.m. The club will have two official watch parties at Pig & Pickle in Scottsdale and The Brass Tap in Gilbert.
PHOENIX RISING FC 3-0 ORANGE COUNTY FC
PHX: 6', 2-Kevin Alston (OG)
PHX: 17', 21-Joey Calistri (9-Adam Jahn)
PHX: 50', 20-Solomon Asante
OC: 19' 12-Daniel Crisostomo (caution)
OC: 37', 13-Vinicuis (caution)
PHX: 60', 2-Doueugui Mala (caution)
PHX: 69', 41-James Musa
Starting XI: 28-Zac Lubin; 13-Amadou Dia, 2-Doueugui Mala, 15-Joey Farrell, 24-Mustapha Dumbuya (78', 16-Austin Ledbetter); 19-Jose Aguinaga, 41-James Musa, 10-Jon Bakero (64', 35-Andrew Wheeler-Omiunu); 21-Joey Calistri (76', 8-Collin Fernandez), 9-Adam Jahn, 20-Solomon Asante
Subs not used: 1-Carl Woszczynski, 22-Ben Spencer, 32-Kyle Bjornethun, 95-Ramone Howell
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 16, 2019
- Hartford Drops Back-And-Forth Battle with Nashville - Hartford Athletic
- T2 Fight Back to Earn 2-2 Draw against Fresno FC at Providence Park - Portland Timbers 2
- Martin, Lawal Fuel Fresno to 2-2 Draw at Portland - Fresno FC
- Lancaster Rocket Propels Nashville SC to 3-2 Win over Hartford - Nashville SC
- 1868 FC to Face Phoenix Rising FC in Tuesday Showdown - Reno 1868 FC
- Fresno FC at Portland Timbers 2 Match Notes - Fresno FC
- Three Things: Rowdies 1 - 1 Charleston - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Lights FC Stun New Mexico United with a Dominant 5-1 Win - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Steel FC remains undefeated against Saint Louis FC - Philadelphia Union II
- Two Second Half Goals Lead Reno to 4-2 Home Win - Reno 1868 FC
- Phoenix Rising Rolls in 3-0 Shutout Win over Rival Orange County - Phoenix Rising FC
- Pasher's Latest Game-Winner Gives Indy Eleven 2-1 Victory at Loudoun United FC - Indy Eleven
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Phoenix Rising FC Stories
- Phoenix Rising Ends Visit Tucson Sun Cup with 3-2 Win over Real Salt Lake
- Phoenix Rising Opens 2020 Visit Tucson Sun Cup with Columbus Crew SC
- Rising FC Announces Official Supporter Nights for 2020
- Dollar Beer Night Returns for 2020 Season
- Phoenix Rising Acquires Goalkeeper Eric Dick on Loan from Sporting KC