1868 FC to Face Phoenix Rising FC in Tuesday Showdown
RENO, Nev. - Fresh off Saturday night's 4-2 home win over LA Galaxy II, Reno 1868 FC is set to host Phoenix Rising FC on Tuesday at 7:15 p.m. PT. Phoenix enters the match as the first-place team in the western conference, while Reno sits just three points back in fourth place. Phoenix will bring its five-match winning streak into Greater Nevada Field, where 1868 FC is undefeated this season.
"We want to play the best teams," said head coach Ian Russell. "We've done really well against some of the top teams, and Phoenix is one of the better teams."
Both teams will be coming off of quick turnarounds, with each winning on Saturday.
Reno moved to 4-0-3 at home this season with the 4-2 win over LA, while Phoenix extended their winning streak to five games with a 3-0 win at home against Orange County. Phoenix's five-match winning streak is the longest active in the USL.
"They've been good for the last three years, they're a pretty athletic team. Tactically we've got to be sound" said head coach Ian Russell. "We've got to attack and we've got to get it right. Mentally we've got to be prepared."
Reno's four goal performance tied their season high in goals, and was the ninth time this season the team outshot their opponent. Reno finished with 20 shots to LA's 16. Corey Hertzog, Danny Musovski, Sam Gleadle and Aidan Apodaca all scored for 1868 FC. Hertzog's goal was his seventh, putting him one behind Brian Brown for the team lead. The total has him tied for 12th in the USL as well.
Hertzog's goal came in the seventh minute to tie up the match after a successful penalty kick by LA in the third minute. Not long after, Musovski put one in the net to give 1868 FC a 2-1 lead. In the 30th minute, LA again scored to send the match into halftime tied. Gleadle and Apodaca would post two unanswered goals in the second half to secure three points for Reno.
The action kicks off at 7:15 p.m. PT from Greater Nevada Field. The match will be nationally aired on ESPN3, and tickets are still available at reno1868fc.com. Match festivities will include Reno 1868 FC's first ever $1 beer night for fans.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 16, 2019
- Hartford Drops Back-And-Forth Battle with Nashville - Hartford Athletic
- T2 Fight Back to Earn 2-2 Draw against Fresno FC at Providence Park - Portland Timbers 2
- Martin, Lawal Fuel Fresno to 2-2 Draw at Portland - Fresno FC
- Lancaster Rocket Propels Nashville SC to 3-2 Win over Hartford - Nashville SC
- 1868 FC to Face Phoenix Rising FC in Tuesday Showdown - Reno 1868 FC
- Fresno FC at Portland Timbers 2 Match Notes - Fresno FC
- Three Things: Rowdies 1 - 1 Charleston - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Lights FC Stun New Mexico United with a Dominant 5-1 Win - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Steel FC remains undefeated against Saint Louis FC - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Two Second Half Goals Lead Reno to 4-2 Home Win - Reno 1868 FC
- Phoenix Rising Rolls in 3-0 Shutout Win over Rival Orange County - Phoenix Rising FC
- Pasher's Latest Game-Winner Gives Indy Eleven 2-1 Victory at Loudoun United FC - Indy Eleven
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.