Two Second Half Goals Lead Reno to 4-2 Home Win
Reno, Nev. - Reno 1868 FC topped LA Galaxy II tonight, winning 4-2 to move to 4-0-3 at home this season and 6-3-5 overall. The four goals tied the team's season high for the third time this season. The team bounced back from a third minute goal by LA to tie the match at halftime before scoring two unanswered in the second half.
"It's a good win, it was a tough game," said head coach Ian Russell. "LA Galaxy II is a good team. I thought it was a good mature performance for us."
LA jumped out to the early lead thanks to a penalty kick by Frank Lopez. The goal was Lopez' third on the year. LA's lead would be short lived, as Corey Hertzog found the back of the net just four minutes later to even things up at one goal apiece. Hertzog's seventh goal of the season came off assists from Sam Gleadle and Duke Lacroix. The seven goals from Hertzog are second on the team, trailing Brian Brown's eight.
Not long after Hertzog evened things up, Danny Musovski put the club ahead off a feed by Raul Mendiola, his third assist of the season. The goal was Musovski's first in six appearances this season.
"It was a tough goal. You never want to concede one in the first half, so one in the first few minutes is not a good look," said Russell. "But we responded well, we scored two goals in thirteen minutes."
LA would respond with a goal in the 30th minute to send the teams into the break tied. The goal came from Augustine Williams, his third of the season.
The second half opened up with 15 scoreless minutes before Reno tacked on two goals to take a lead they would not relinquish. In the 60th minute, Gleadle scored an unassisted goal to make the score 3-2. Immediately following the goal, Aidan Apodaca subbed in for Musovski and five minutes later found the back of the net to make it 4-2. The goals were both players' second of the season.
The four goals tied the most this season for Reno, and was the third time the boys in blue have accomplished the feat. Reno netted four in Sacramento on May 11 to win 4-1, and again on June 1 in a 4-0 win over Las Vegas. Reno outshot LA 20-16, the ninth time this season Reno has outshot their opponent.
Reno also moves to 5-0-0 all time against LA. Tonight's match was the first time LA scored more than one goal against 1868 FC.
The boys in blue will be back in action soon enough, putting their undefeated home streak to the test against Phoenix Rising FC on Tuesday, June 18. Phoenix will be coming off of a home victory, beating Orange County 3-0 tonight. The match is scheduled to begin at 7:15 p.m. PT and tickets are available at reno1868fc.com.
Reno 1868 FC Starting XI
GK (12) Matt Bersano, D (5) Zach Carroll ©, D (3) Benjamin Galindo Cruz, D (16) Brent Richards,
D (11) Duke Lacroix, M (84) Seth Casiple, M (40) Raul Mendiola, M (23) Sam Gleadle, M (97) Sergio Rivas, F (21) Corey Hertzog, F (9) Danny Musovski
GK (25) Damion Lewis D (6) Thomas Janjigian, D (15) Yosimar Hernandez, D (13) Nathan Aune, M (20) Mark Hernandez, F (17) Aidan Apodaca, D (2) Emrah Klimenta
60' Aidan Apodaca Ã Danny Musovski
Corey Hertzog 7'
Danny Musovski 13'
Sam Gleadle 60'
Aidan Apodaca 65'
Sam Gleadle 7'
Duke Lacroix 7'
Raul Mendiola 13'
Seth Casiple 65'
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 16, 2019
- Hartford Drops Back-And-Forth Battle with Nashville - Hartford Athletic
- T2 Fight Back to Earn 2-2 Draw against Fresno FC at Providence Park - Portland Timbers 2
- Martin, Lawal Fuel Fresno to 2-2 Draw at Portland - Fresno FC
- Lancaster Rocket Propels Nashville SC to 3-2 Win over Hartford - Nashville SC
- 1868 FC to Face Phoenix Rising FC in Tuesday Showdown - Reno 1868 FC
- Fresno FC at Portland Timbers 2 Match Notes - Fresno FC
- Three Things: Rowdies 1 - 1 Charleston - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Lights FC Stun New Mexico United with a Dominant 5-1 Win - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Steel FC remains undefeated against Saint Louis FC - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Two Second Half Goals Lead Reno to 4-2 Home Win - Reno 1868 FC
- Phoenix Rising Rolls in 3-0 Shutout Win over Rival Orange County - Phoenix Rising FC
- Pasher's Latest Game-Winner Gives Indy Eleven 2-1 Victory at Loudoun United FC - Indy Eleven
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.