Phoenix Rising FC Signs Midfielder Marcus Epps to a Multi-Year Contract
Phoenix Rising FC has signed midfielder Marcus Epps to a multi-year contract, pending USL and federation approval, the club announced today.
"I'm very excited to be joining Phoenix Rising," Epps said. "For years, Phoenix has been a staple of excellence in the USL Championship. To be able to join such a great organization is exciting. I can't wait to get out there, see the city, meet the staff, the players, the fans and make good things happen for the club in 2022."
Epps joins Phoenix after leading San Antonio FC in starts (33), appearances (35) and minutes played (2,933) in 2021. The winger scored seven goals and added four assists for the Western Conference Finalists. Epps also led San Antonio in aerial duels won last season with 56.
"Marcus is extremely explosive and very talented," said Rising head coach Rick Schantz. "I have watched for many years now and I'm very excited to add Marcus to our roster. His athleticism and technical ability will fit in perfectly with our game model."
Prior to joining San Antonio, Epps spent the 2020 season with Portland Timbers 2. In 13 matches, he recorded four goals won 97 duels. Epps played for the New York Red Bulls (MLS) in 2019. He made three appearances before loan stints with both Red Bulls II and Memphis 901 FC. In 33 USL Championship games in 2019, Epps compiled 2,526 minutes while adding five goals and four assists.
Epps was originally drafted by the Philadelphia Union in the first round (25th overall) of the 2017 MLS SuperDraft. He spent his first two seasons with the Union and the Union's USL Championship affiliate.
Rising now has 15 players under contract for the 2022 season including: Joey Calistri, Lalo Delgado, Niall Dunn, Epps, Joe Farrell, Ryan Flood, Ivan Gutierrez, Darnell King, Jonathan Levin, Manuel Madrid, Santi Moar, James Musa, Aodhan Quinn, Arturo Rodriguez and Luis Seijas.
Fans can give the gift of Rising this Christmas! Call 623-594-9606 or email email@example.com to get a $50 or $100 gift card for under your tree.
Transaction: Phoenix Rising signs Marcus Epps to a multi-year contract
Name: Marcus Epps
DOB: January 16, 1995 (26)
Hometown: Jackson, Mississippi
College: University of South Florida
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from December 10, 2021
- Texas-Based Ownership Group Purchases Austin Bold FC - USL
- Phoenix Rising FC Signs Midfielder Marcus Epps to a Multi-Year Contract - Phoenix Rising FC
- Building for 2022: Carlos Saldaña's Top Shelf Saves - Sacramento Republic FC
- Luis Felipe & Juju Chavez up for 2021 USL Goal of the Year - Sacramento Republic FC
- Indy Eleven Inks Three More Players to 2022 Roster - Indy Eleven
- Eric Bird, Sean Lewis to Return to FC Tulsa Roster in 2022 - FC Tulsa
- John Wolyniec Steps Down as Red Bulls II Head Coach - New York Red Bulls II
- Longtime LouCity Captain DelPiccolo Signs New Contract - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Phoenix Rising FC Stories
- Phoenix Rising FC to Host Fan Appreciation Night on June 11
- Phoenix Rising Debuts Six Academy Players in Tough Loss at New Mexico United
- Phoenix Rising FC Signs Six Academy Players Ahead of Tuesday's Match in New Mexico
- Rising Faces New Mexico United for the Third Time this Season
- Phoenix Rising FC Match Scheduled for Tomorrow in New Mexico, Postponed Due to COVID