Philadelphia Wings Drop First Game of Season, 14-13
The Philadelphia Wings of the National Lacrosse League (NLL) were handed their first loss of the season 14-13, to the Buffalo Bandits at the First Niagara Bank Center.
For the second time in as many weeks the Wings found themselves going head-to-head with longtime rival Bandits, this time the end result favored Buffalo. In a game that saw multiple lead changes, the Wings had an opportunity in the final seconds to tie the game but failed to convert on what would have been Kevin Ross' fifth goal of the game.
Ross led the way for the Wings with four goals and two assists, while Jordan Hall and Drew Westervelt each had three goals and three assists for six points on the night. Kevin Crowley, who failed to score a goal for the first time this season, found other ways to contribute with four assists.
Brandon Miller, whose solid play in the Wings first two games earned him league Defensive Player of the Week honors had 38 saves on 52 shots for a 73% save rate.
Former Wings Mike Hominuck and David Brock led the Bandits with three goals and two goals respectively. The Bandits improve to 3-1, with their lone loss coming at the hands of the Wings earlier this month.
The Wings return to Wells Fargo Center on a quick turnaround to play the Calgary Roughnecks tomorrow, Sunday, January 27 at 4 p.m. The game will feature a salute to American Heroes and a jersey auction to benefit the Wounded Warrior Project immediately following the game.
Tickets for all Philadelphia Wings home games are available online at WingsLAX.com by phone at 215-389-WING or in person at Wells Fargo Center box office.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from January 26, 2013
- Stealth Fall Short to Minnesota on Road, Maintain Lead in NLL West - Washington Stealth
- Minnesota Swarm Expose Steatlh, Win Home Opener 15-14 - Minnesota Swarm
- Knighthawks Fall Late To Rock - Rochester Knighthawks
- Philadelphia Wings Drop First Game of Season, 14-13 - Philadelphia Wings
- Rock Continue Winning Ways Away from Home - Toronto Rock
- Knighthawks Will Try To Turn Fortunes Around Tonight - Rochester Knighthawks
- Third NLL win puts Stealth "back in groove" with defeat of Edmonton - Washington Stealth
- Mammoth Falls to Roughnecks on Home Turf - Colorado Mammoth
- Roughnecks Defeat Mammoth 19-12 - Calgary Roughnecks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Wings Stories
- Wings to Re-Locate Franchise
- Wings Player Garret Thul Named to United States Men's National Lacrosse Team
- Wings Second All-Time Leading Scorer Bergey Named to NLL Hall of Fame Ballot
- Philadelphia Wings Brodie Merrill Voted Finalist for Transition Player of the Year
- Three Philadelphia Wings Players Named to Canadian National Lacrosse Team