Philadelphia Independence Announce Home Opener April 11, 2010
PHILADELPHIA, PA (December 18, 2009) The Philadelphia Independence Women's Professional Soccer Team will host its inaugural match on April 11th at West Chester University's John A. Farrell Stadium against fellow expansion team, the Atlanta Beat. For the team's second WPS match of the 2010 season, the Boston Breakers will host the Independence on April 18th in a nationally-televised Fox Soccer Channel broadcast.
"The league's announcement of our first two matches couldn't be more exciting for our franchise" said General Manager Terry Foley. "Opening day against Atlanta at our home venue gives us the opportunity to get our WPS season kicked off in proper form in front of the Philly fans, with lots of hometown fanfare. This will be followed a week later when former Boston players Heather Mitts, Amy Rodriguez, and Sue Weber all return to Boston with the rest of the Independence to play the Breakers in the Sunday evening televised WPS match. These first two weeks of play provide the fans with back-to-back opportunities to watch the national and international talent we've assembled for our inaugural WPS season."
With this announcement of its opening game, Independence fans are invited to purchase a $25 single game ticket to the home opener. This purchase will guarantee a spot between the 18-yard lines and entry to the home team's inaugural match festivities at West Chester University. This offer is a 1-day Home Opener Ticket promotion that ends Saturday, December 19th at 6pm. For more information on this offer, visit: www.independencetix.ticketleap.com/2010-Home-Opener/t/WPS-League-Site.
The Independence is one of four teams hosting on the weekend of April 10-11, and it will be the first time ever that four WPS games take place over one weekend. The 2010 league kickoff has been set two weeks later than last year's start date in order to accommodate warmer weather and avoid playing on the Easter holiday weekend. The remainder of the 2010 WPS and each team's 24-game schedule has not been announced by the league but should be released in the upcoming weeks.
Stay tuned at www.wpsphillyindependence.com for additional Independence ticketing, player, and community partnership information.
• Discuss this story on the Women's Professional Soccer message board...
Women's Professional Soccer Stories from December 17, 2009
- Philadelphia Independence Announce Home Opener April 11, 2010 - Philadelphia Independence
- Breakers Will Face Independence In Home Opener - Boston Breakers
- Chicago Red Stars' 2010 Home Opener Set - Chicago Red Stars
- 2010 WPS Home Openers Set - WPS
- 2010 Season Opener Announced - Sky Blue FC
- Atlanta Beat Signs Ramona Bachmann - Atlanta Beat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Independence Stories
- Philadelphia Independence Statement in Response to WPSL Elite Division
- Philadelphia Independence Sign Icelandic Duo
- Philadelphia Independence Signs Lori Chalupny
- Philadelphia Independence Re-signs Pair of Defenders
- Independence Adds Depth, Strengthens Frontline At 2012 WPS Draft